Chapterd 1: DOUGHNUTS! And Busy Mornings.

Visual image of Ky's haircut.

**The entire book isn't italicized, just this short flashback-snippet. I know some people hate reading in italicized format, I'm one of those people, so bare with me**

I look down at her big beautiful brown eyes. She stares at me— as if I am a complete stranger. Her blonde hair falls into her face. My eyes and mind can't help but wonder to how her split ends are just terribly uncut.

"Hi, I'm Jay, your oldest sister and only one. If dad hasn't gotten any more out there," I chuckle, trying to bring light into this situation, but I remember she's just a child, so my joke may have flown over her head. She looks at me oddly-like she has no clue what I am talking about.

"Um, Miss Alden..." I stare up hesitantly at the small petite woman. Her bronze dark skin caked with neat makeup, and her brown hair tied into a stylish tight bun. My eyes roam over her pants suit, it fits so perfectly and hugs every curve she owned, giving her that fancy professional caseworker look.

"Jay please, just call me Jay," I smile kindly at the lady.

" Jay, we will send you all of Josephine papers. Starting with her social security, birth certificate, and other important papers. We have a few more documents you may need to sign, so stop by the office tomorrow." I nod to everything she has stated. She throws Joe one last smile before she grabs her purse and stands.

"Oh, I forgot, your father has been moved to Luke Wilbert hospital to start his chemotherapy session." I smile softly, nodding while guiding her towards the door.

"If you have any questions or updates from here on out, don't be hesitant to give me a call or stop by the office. You'll do fine! I believe it." And with that she exits. I close the door behind her, which leaves me to finally take a deep breath, sliding down the door slowly.

"I'll do fine? How am I suppose to take care of another human being? I'm only 20." I rub my eyes frustratedly. My palms are sweaty and my heart is racing.

"J-Jay?" The little girl whispers beside me. I look up, my eyes watery and teary. First words I heard her speak since she arrived.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'll help as much as I can," I chuckle through my tears. She hands me a blonde haired Barbie doll.

"Thanks, Joe," I smile.

"You're my big sister, I understand," She shrugs her shoulders and sits down next to me.

Three years later

"Josephine Kaven Alden, last time calling you or I'm running up those stairs to—" I don't know what I'm going to do, so I guess my threat is pointless. She does this every morning, takes her time doing whatever. She does this purposefully, due to her hating school and mornings.

"Okay, I'm down." She hops down the last 4 steps, tossing on her baseball cap backwards and taking a seat in her usual chair. I review her outfit, which is boyish, as usual. Her preference is her own, tomboyish, which I can understand. She loves to collect baseball caps and jerseys. I stare idolizing her, she tucks her locks under the cap mindlessly. It's something she does so often, I sometimes question if she just wants to shave it short.

"What did I tell you, no hats at the table..." she already knows my rule, so she rolls her eyes in annoyance. I could only smirk at the attitude she is developing, she's obviously taking after mom.

"Unless it's turned the right way," she corrects. She takes the cap off and puts it on the right way. She re-tucks her hair underneath the cap.

"Thanks,"I smile toothily as I grab a bowl and set it in front of her. I fill it with fruit oatmeal, something we've been eating for 2 weeks straight every morning for breakfast.