26- they cheat- caleb

You were throwing a party. Not only was it Caleb's birthday, but it was your 3 year anniversary of being together. You wanted it to be a surprise, talking to all his friends about the location and who's invited etc. however, since you are no good at keeping secrets from him, Caleb found out. You then decided to plan the party together, having it at one of your friends' houses as their parents were out and didn't mind a birthday party being thrown there. If only they knew how many people were going! You picked out music, food, drink and everything else. You invited everyone you knew, wanting to make this special.

Caleb was going to get ready at his friends house, whilst you and the liars got ready in spencer's bedroom. You all got changed and walked over, not wanting to drive home at the end of the night. Especially if you were going to be drinking. When you arrived you were the first ones there. You wanted to wish Caleb a happy birthday before everyone else because you were all closer friends. You entered, seeing him stood, talking. He excused himself, coming to join you and the others. He thanked them, and soon they went off to get drinks.

"You look beautiful" he complemented, the two of you now alone.

"Thank you, but shouldn't I be the one complementing you. It is your birthday after all." You joked, accepting the cup someone had handed to you.

Gradually all the guests arrived, filling the house. You had drank a little bit too much, feeling slightly tipsy. In an attempt to get some space you went upstairs. It wasn't much better up there. Drunk couples were attached to each other, causing you to awkwardly shuffle around them to try and get through.

You entered a room, which was thankfully empty. It was a warm night, making the air in the room nearly unbreathable. You opened the window, climbing onto the side roof. You knew it was a bad idea to climb onto it when you had been drinking, but you were almost sober now. You could see all the houses down the street, only a few lights on in the windows. It made you wonder what time it was.

You hadn't seen Caleb for most of the night, figuring it was because his friends wanted to celebrate his birthday with him. You didn't mind, you'd wished him a happy birthday and would see him tomorrow.

You heard a door open in the room you had come from. A girl stumbled in, wrapped around a guy. You turned away. It wasn't your business to watch. But you didn't know what to do. You could stay out here, but it felt like you were invading their privacy. You could sneak through, although they would probably see you. You could just walk through, apologise and leave. They couldn't be doing much now and the longer you leave it, the worse it'll be. So you edged towards the window, carefully placing your feet on the roof tiles.

The window was open halfway, so you had to pull it up, making a squeaking noise. You stopped and saw that the couple hadn't noticed you. Maybe you could sneak past? You pulled yourself in, trying to be as silent as possible. You reached the door, opening it. Light spilled in from the hallway, lighting up the couples faces. You stared at them. At Caleb with another girl. You could smell the alcohol from where you were stood but it didn't matter. He cheated.

"How could you?" you shouted. Caleb scrambled out from under the girl, moving towards you.

"y/n" he said. You expected him to carry on, but he didn't.

"I hate you." You hissed. "Have fun together." You slammed the door, storming out of the house.

3 years. You had devoted 3 years of your life to Caleb. Why would he do this? If having your boyfriend cheat on you wasn't bad enough, what happened after was worse. You texted him, telling him it was over. He read it and replied 'good'. And that was the last time you texted him. Then A got involved. You received messages at the worst time

-'no wonder he left you, liars deserve what they get'

-'how long did you think it was going to last? Your time is ticking..."

-'he's been lying in bed with her all day, it's only a matter of time before he joins me"

Each time you ignored the message, blocking the number, but then they would text back on a different one.

The next time you saw him was at school. But he wasn't alone, he had her attached to his arm, clinging on as if her life depended on it. He spotted you across the hall, trying to get her to let go to come over. But she wouldn't budge, not wanting you and Caleb to be alone.

They made their way over, despite her objections that she was clearly shrieking in his ear.

"Y/n. hi, it's nice to finally meet you." She said in a sickly sweet voice. Caleb looked at her with an annoyed expression, rolling his eyes at her attitude.

"Nice to meet you too" you said through gritted teeth, not wanting to make a scene. The bell rang, indicating that you should get to class. Caleb headed off, but she stayed behind, wanting to talk to you.

"What do you want?" you asked, the false act of kindness now gone.

"I want you to stay away from us." She spat.

"Why would I want to be near you?" you laughed. "You're just a bimbo who couldn't get your own boyfriend so you got mine drunk and had him instead." She slapped you hard on the cheek, before strutting down the corridor to the lesson. You followed, your cheek burning and probably bright red. She sat next to Caleb, in the seat that was yours. You sat diagonally behind her, as it was the only seat left to fill.

You focused your attention to the front, instead of on them. However halfway through the lesson you received a text. It was from Caleb.

"Sorry we had such a tough breakup but I'm happier without you."

You could feel yourself getting upset, but you refused to cry in class. You refused to cry in front of him and especially her. So you pushed your feelings down, knowing they would explode sooner or later.

You spent lunch alone, wanting some time to yourself. Sadly this was interrupted by Caleb, who joined you at your table. You picked up your tray to move but he pulled you back down.

"We need to talk y/n." he said, searching your face for any sign of emotion.

"Ok" you replied, aware that neither of you would create a commotion in the middle of the canteen.

"That night, I was extremely drunk. I asked her if she had seen you and she said yes. She directed me upstairs. Next thing I know she is kissing me, pulling me onto the bed. I'm sorry. It was a mistake." You sat there confused. If it was a mistake, then why had he sent those texts. You showed him the ones you had received and his eyes went wide.

"I didn't send those, she must have. I don't like her y/n, she just won't leave me alone." He sighed.

"I really love you. I do...." He whispered "I want us again. I want to be with you and only you. Not her. She doesn't make me happy, in fact she does the opposite. I need you. We had 3 happy years together. Why would I throw that away?" He made no move to come closer. You appreciated that, knowing it would take time for you to trust him again...

"I love you Caleb, but I don't want to get hurt again."

"You won't" he promised.

"It'll take time for me to trust you again." You stated, playing with your food with your fork.

"I know and I'll do everything to make it up to you. We'll move at your pace. I promise I'll never hurt you again." You nodded your head, agreeing. You smiled at each other, almost as if you were starting from scratch. You knew he meant what he said, so you gave it another go, letting your relationship naturally go back to what it was before that night.