T W È Ń T Ÿ

edited

We literally ran to the car as my panic attack worsened. I couldn't think straight. The only thing running through my mind was memories of me and Kaitlyn when we were younger.

I remember one time when she stayed at my house for Christmas break and we had an argument and then she left the next day. I remember going skating with her on July 4th instead of watching the fireworks at the park. I remember the conversation we had about California and traveling the world. I remember everything. Everything...

My mind was just playing the conversation her dad and I would have if she's not okay. I'm so irresponsible. I thought I could take care of her. I thought I was capable of taking care of my younger cousin. I should've never left her side. Never.

Maybe it would be better if she went to move back in with her dad back in Maine. I obviously can't take care of her. I think that's the best choice. Her dad is probably pissed off at me already. Disappointed.

"You alright, Haylie?" Kian asked, pulling me out of my dead stare. His hand rests on my thigh, rubbing up and down to calm my nerves.

I sigh. "I guess."

Just then, we pulled into the driveway of my house and I was out of the car before he completely stopped. The house looked completely fine on the outside. I can only imagine what it looks like inside. Probably glass everywhere and broken shit.

I ran inside and saw plates on the floor, shattered into pieces. Paper and food were thrown all over the place. I went into the living room and saw Jade and Kelcee surrounding Kaitlyn.

"Oh my god." I whispered to myself as I walked over to them. They looked at me with concern and worry.

I bent down to look at Kaitlyn who was still unconscious. Tears started streaming down my face again as I looked at her.

"What happened?" I asked through my sobs.

They didn't answer. I heard the door open then close, signaling me the Kian came in.

"What happened!" I yelled, crying even harder as Kian walked in.

"Sh-She got hit in the head by something flying through the air during the tornado. I'm sorry, Haylie." Kelcee said, pulling me into her chest. My sobs were louder than ever now. I was so scared of what was going to happen to my cousin. My best friend. My blood.

"Come on, we're going to take her to the hospital." I heard Jade say. I calmed down slightly.

"K-Kian, will you take her to the car?" I asked him. He nodded and picked Kaitlyn up carefully and started walking to the car. Her arms and head were flopping around each time his foot hit the ground. Dead weight. God, I hope she's okay.

I wiped the dried tears off of my face and fresh tears replaced them. This is so depressing. I have to call her dad. I have to. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and went to his contact. It rang 3 times before he answered.

"Hello?" He said.

"Hey Uncle Travis." I said with a smile even though he couldn't see it.

"Haylie? What's wrong?" He asked.

I sigh. "Th-There was an earthquake and a tornado. Kaitlyn, sh-she's unconscious. I'm so sorry." I cried harder.

"I'll be down there as soon as I can." He said and hung up.

"I'm sorry." I whispered through the phone but the line was dead.

"C'mon Haylie. Let's go." Jade said.

I walked to Kian's car and sat quietly in the front seat. My phone continues to ring off the hook and I see who it is.

24 new messages.