“Hello Isabel. I’m Dr. Wu”, the Asian-American doctor said, giving me a warm smile, “I don’t want you to try to speak, alright? You had a heart attack, and it took a little while before you were brought in, so we would like to monitor you for some time. We’ve given you some morphine for the pain, and a nurse will be in here from time to time, to up your dose. The EKG helps to identify if the heart muscle has been damaged in specific areas. After we assess the results, we’ll then take the necessary precautions.”

I was hearing her, but not quite. All I could think was, ‘I didn’t die.’ Well, not yet, anyway. That had to mean something, right?

The doctor turned to Howard, “She needs her rest, so I’d advise that you don’t try to talk to her just yet. We have to ensure that she doesn’t put any strain on the heart, just in case there’s damage.”

He nodded, and gave me an encouraging smile, “You’re going to be just fine”, he said.

I felt Rosie clutch my arm, and I managed to conjure a small smile. With that, I fell asleep again.

*

“Rosie, chicken sandwiches, really?” I heard Francesca snap, in a loud whisper.

“It was the nicest thing they had”, Rosie shot back, at a similar decibel.

My eyes were closed; I didn’t really think that moment was the best time to open them up. I figured it was morning; I could feel brightness above my eyelids.

“Really! You didn’t find a single bowl of salad in the whole of Gelson’s!” Fran said, her voice thick with sarcasm.

“Why would I get salad?” Rosie asked, her voice lowered to a hush.

Frannie snorted. “She had a heart attack, idiot. Look it up.”

“Keep it down, girls. You’re going to wake her”, Howard whispered.

I groaned inwardly.

Francesca and Rosie had never ever gotten along, from the day they’d laid eyes on each other. Fran, being eight years older than her, had always made it a point not to associate herself with Rosie more than she needed to. Deana, on the other hand, was simply indifferent; she was certainly the most mature of the three of them. I just couldn’t picture her getting all worked up about something as unimportant as chicken or salad. For a minute, I hoped with all my might that she’d suddenly come barging in through the door, but at the back of my mind, I knew it was a long shot. And personally, I didn’t blame her; I wouldn’t want to see me either.

I slowly opened my eyes; the bickering had died down, and all I could hear were shuffling feet. The electrodes were still connected to my wrists, ankles and chest; they felt like restraints.

“Mom, you’re awake”, Frannie said, coming to my side, “How are you feeling?”

I leaned up slightly against the pillows, as Rosie perched onto the corner of the bed. “Thirsty. Would you get me some water, please?” I asked, ignoring the shooting pain in my arm and chest.

“First, the nurse”, Rosie said, pressing the call button, before I could protest.

Howard came to stand by my bedside as Francesca handed me a cup of warm water. All three of them were watching me with worried looks on their faces; it was rather unnerving. I’ve never been one to get all touchy-feely; I’ve always been pretty tough, but the heart attack made me feel completely vulnerable, which I hated.