Nan's Best Friend's Ex-Husband

Not to me, but to my nana and it freaks me out to this day.

My nan has a very good friend she has known since her nursing days, and back when they both had their kids and had grown into women, her friends ex-husband rang up my nan. He was very depressed and needed someone to talk to, but my nan had to say that unfortunately she couldn't go over to see him as she had just had a new born (my father), was breastfeeding and needed to feed. He said he understood and said "I'll see you soon then."

My grandad was on nights at work at this time, so she wasn't expecting anyone home or to visit until the next morning. At about 9pm that night, she heard their front gate open (it was a very vocal gate, she liked it that way so that when she was alone she knew when someone walked up to the house.) She assumed that maybe grandad had been sent home or forgot something, so thought nothing of it.

That was until the family dog, Ben, began to stiffen up and growl toward the front door and nobody opened it. He began to bark. Nan insists he had never been like that. He was a dog that had been brought up around 4 youngsters. Placid, patient and kind.

She tried to get up to open the front door to see if some kids were playing around with her, but she couldn't. She was frozen in her place on the chair. She said she felt icy cold for about 2 minutes. The fire was blaring. Nan described that after the cold began to fade, she felt very calm and serene, and heard the front gate go once more.

In the morning, when grandad returned home, she explained to him what happened and at what time. He told her he had some terrible news. That her friends ex-husband had commited suicide at about 8.50pm that evening. It took about ten minutes walk to my nan's house then from his.