Queen of the woods - Part 9 - Bilbo x Reader

"And where do you think you are going, Master Baggins........?" A voice came. Bilbo almost tripping over himself as he turned around at the sound. His hand gripping firmly at his chest, as he looked up at the elven beauty that was gazing down at him.

"I.......I was just going for a walk. I could not sleep.........."

"Has anyone ever told you that you are a terrible liar, Bilbo? You should really refrain from doing it......." (Y/n) sighed, as she took a seat on one of Dale's tumbled down walls. The elven guards that were the only ones awake, as they patrolled the ruins of the once great city of men, not seeming to notice the pair; or if they did, they knew better than to question their queen.

"I can sense that it took much from you to not tell Thorin that you had found the Arkenstone. Yet I know that you did it for his own good; I hate to think what turn his sickness would take, if he had the King's Stone in his hand." The queen continued, giving Bilbo a soft sad smile, as he came to stand with her.

"You care about Thorin........? I feel like you love him........." Bilbo said, his thoughts going back to the conversation that he and the queen had had in Mirkwood. How her eyes seemed to sparkle when the dwarf's name was mentioned, as they plotted the escape of the Company.

"I thought elves loved only one............."

"We.........we do........normally." The queen replied, as she turned her attention to the Mountain. (Y/n) able to see the light of a fire from the ramparts above the broken gates.

"I love my husband more than words can say. Thranduil is my heart, and my king. When the time is right, we will sail to the Undying Lands together, and I will live in happiness with him, for all eternity. Yet a little part of me, will always remain in this world, will remain in that Mountain and with Thorin." The elleth confessed. Bilbo moving to take a seat by her side; his hand reaching out to rest on hers that sat atop her lap.

"It should not happen, I know. But the Valar........well, I do not know whether they planned it to be a curse or a gift; but from the moment that I saw Thorin when I first made my way to the Mountain as an envoy, I knew that part of my heart was lost to him. He was only a young dwarf at the time; stood so proudly next to his grandfather's throne. A little part of me wanted to laugh, as he puffed out his chest and pulled himself to his full height; trying his best to look as serious as possible in front of this elf that had made her way into the home of the Durin folk. But then I caught his eye, and I saw a mischief behind those orbs, and we just smiled at one another.........." (Y/n) sighed, before looking to Bilbo.

"It is that dwarf I would see come back. It is that dwarf that I would see rule the Mountain............."

"Do you think you can...........?" Bilbo suddenly asked, as he moved a little closer to the elleth.

"Bring him back, I mean..........I know Gandalf wants me to get away from here, but I cannot leave Thorin and the other's now. If someone can help him break the sickness, then he would see sense; he would give Bard what he owes the people of Lake-town, he would maybe even give Thranduil his gems for you, and there would be no need for war. We could give him back the Arkenstone and everything would be alright.........."

"I would do whatever it took to bring Thorin back, Bilbo. Before the dragon came and the sickness took over Thrór, there was peace and prosperity over these lands, because of what I had been able to do. Elves, men and dwarves worked and traded together, and I would see that return. I would see the Kingdom of Mirkwood more welcoming, and Dale and Erebor back to their former glories. Yet I am out here, and Thorin is behind those walls; and I do not know how he will react if he sees me again. If his harsh words, would turn into harsher actions; for I am, after all, in his eyes at least, his enemy. The wife of the elven king that refused to come to the aid of his people when the dragon came." (Y/n) replied. She and Bilbo finding themselves both chuckling, as they sighed in unison.

"I.......I was on my way back to the Mountain when you found me........" The hobbit confessed. A blush coming to his cheeks.

"Of course you were.......and I.........well, I was wondering how I could get there without Thranduil realising that I was not in our tent with him." The queen admitted. The pair chuckling at themselves again.

"Come with me!" Bilbo suddenly exclaimed, as he jumped to his feet.

"I got out, and we can both get in the same way. You can see Thorin face to face; talk to him properly. If he cares about you as much as you care about him, then you are the best chance we have to stop the war." The hobbit continued. The queen able to see the pleading in his eyes. To see the fear at the notion of the impending conflict. (Y/n) letting her eyes look to the tent where she had left her slumbering husband. Cursing at herself for once more feeling the need to go behind Thranduil's back. To once more help dwarves, despite his orders. But if it meant that many might not die; that the blood of elves, men and dwarves would not soak into the earth, that she would not lose her husband or son, then it was worth it, wasn't it? The queen nodding slightly, before she slowly got to her feet. And though she knew that this might mean her life; she was willing to give it for all those she loved.

"Very well, Master Baggins. Lead the way............."