Rivals - Part 6 - Haldir x Reader

(Y/n) had been unable to stop thinking about Haldir, as she made her way around the outcrop of trees and picked up the branches from the ground. As much as she was telling herself that all her thoughts were ridiculous; as much as she tried to forget the way that his body had felt against her, while Calroc had galloped away from where they had left the orcs; she couldn't..........she just couldn't. And as she had returned to where she had left not only her beloved mount, but also her rival; the sight that met her eyes, certainly didn't make anything easier. For there, leant up against one of the boulders, was a half-naked Haldir. His eyes examining the injury on his arm.

For a moment, she could not move; her eyes focused on the finely chiseled muscles of his arms and torso. Despite their rivalry, she had always thought that he was a handsome ellon, that he was striking. That even though Lothlórien was filled with pleasing ellons that any elleth would be more than happy to call theirs; Haldir, for her, had always put the other male in the shade. For not only was he attractive; but he was also brave, strong, loyal and true. (Y/n) gulping down the lump that had formed in her throat and shaking the thoughts of his half naked form from her mind, before making her way over to him; doing her best to pretend that all had been as it was between them, before they had started on this journey. Haldir simply watching her, as she went about starting the fire.

                                                            >>----------------------------------<<

Haldir watched, as she made her way over to the small group of trees. No matter what he did, he couldn't stop himself from thinking about her. When he had been sat behind her in the saddle, his good arm wrapped around her waist, it had just felt right. As if having her in his arms, was where she belonged. The Marchwarden of the northern borders feeling his heart beat as it had never beat before. And as much as he continued to try and tell himself that all the thoughts he was having, were foolish, his heart just didn't want to listen to him.

Despite their rivalry, he had always thought that she was beautiful, exquisite. And even in Lothlórien, a realm filled with beautiful elleths, for him, (Y/n) out shone all others. And if truth be told, he believed that the Marchwarden of the southern borders, was even more exceptional than the Lady of light, herself. Haldir feeling a sudden heat fill him, as he thought about all the times that they had been stood close to one another; about all the times that he had been so close that he could the smell the scent of flowers that seemed to surround her. All the times that they had stood toe to toe, and all he had to do was lean in slightly, and he would have been able to kiss her; the Marchwarden pulling his tunic from around his shoulder, so that he could not only let the evening air cool his heated skin; but also so he could examine the wound that the clash with the orcs, had left.

(Y/n) had done a wonderful job; not that he hadn't expected her to. And he was sure that when the wound healed fully, he would barely be able to see a mark; unlike some of the other scars that he had got over his long life.........his long life..........the thought that he might have waisted his life suddenly filled his thoughts. Others that were his age, had not only been betrothed, but had been married for centuries. Yet he........(Y/n) had dedicated themselves to the protection of Lothlórien, and had missed out on all of that. And now, when he had finally realised his feelings for her, she had been promised to another.

Suddenly he looked up and saw (Y/n) making his way over to him. Haldir forgetting that his tunic lay next to him, as he just watched her build the fire.

                                                           >>----------------------------------<<

"I will go to bathe now. Once I come back, you should probably go to the river too. I don't want that disgusting orc blood getting into your wound, and if you are to ride with me again tomorrow, I would prefer that you didn't smell like one of those vile creatures." (Y/n) said, as she added a few more thick sticks to the fire, before she got to her feet. The female Marchwarden making her way over to Calroc and grabbing her pack, before she left him to make her way down to the river.

"I can't let her marry, Lindir." Haldir suddenly said; not sure whether he was talking to himself, to the gelding that stood close by, or just to the air. Yet whatever the case, now that he had begun, he found that he could not stop.

"I am in love with her. I should have realised it before it got to this point; but now I have, I cannot lose her to Lindir or anyone else. She is mine, and I am hers; if I feel it, she must too. She cannot be blind to these emotions. And even though I know that she wishes to do her duty, I know that she will not be happy, if she had to remain in Imladris. She will be forced to be someone, something that she isn't. Her place is in Lothlórien; her place is with me." Haldir continued, as he got to his feet.

"And I have to tell her that. Even if it defies the wishes of the Lady Galadriel; the wishes of Lord Elrond, I will not be able to live if she is not with me." The Marchwarden added, before quickly making his way to the river.