The Black Witch - Part 4 - Gandalf x Reader

Everything in italics is Valarin. The language of the Istari, Valar and Maiar.

(Y/n) made her way from Elrond's rooms, as the dark blue of night, was replaced by the pink hues of the new day sun. Today would be the last full day that the Fellowship would have in Imladris, before they started their long journey. The last day that any of them would know peace until this was all over; but at least now, she knew whom she would be travelling with. Lord Elrond telling her of Gimli, son of Gloin; of Boromir, son of Denethor, Steward of Gondor, and of Legolas, son of Thranduil, Elvenking of Mirkwood; but most of all, of Aragorn, son of Arathorn, last descendant of both Isildur and Anárion.

She had known Isildur; she had known his father Elendil, and his brother Anárion too. She had fought with them all for the twelve years that it had taken for them to defeat Sauron with the Last Alliance. Twelve long years during which she had come to know the men as well as if they were her kin. Twelve years when she had grown to care for all those that fought with her. Each death, having broken her a little more. The witch well aware that the Dark Lord knew this; for each night he would come to her and with the voice of Mairon, he would promise her that no one else would die, if she would just join him. If she would just come alone to Barad-dûr, and take a seat by her side, as his queen. But as much as she had wanted to believe him, as much as she had wanted the war and the deaths to end; she knew that she could not go to that dark tower. She knew that she could not agree to be his; for she knew that it would mean the end of everything. That Sauron would corrupt her light; he would twist her heart until it was as black as his own, and she was nothing but evil. Middle-Earth finding itself ruled by not only a Dark Lord, but by a Dark Queen that sat at his right hand, ready to do his bidding. So, she had refused. The Black Witch carrying the guilt of all those deaths, with her.

"Sister........" A voice called. The witch stopping at the sound of the grey wizard's word.

It had been so long since she had heard herself called that by another. Mostly she had been called it by Saruman, Radagast, Alatar and Pallando. Mairon choosing to call her his beloved, instead. But to hear it coming from the lips of the grey one.........it not that she saw him any different to the others, it just that over the long years, their paths had rarely crossed.

"Olórin." (Y/n) finally greeted, as she turned to him; the pair bowing respectfully to one another.

"I hoped to be able to speak with you about..........."

"Saruman. Yes, I know. I know that his weaknesses allowed Sauron to corrupt him. That we not only fight the forces of evil; but one of our own. One that was as dear to me, as any." She interrupted, as she turned her gaze to the buildings of Imladris, whose walls were now welcoming the light and heat of the new day.

"Lord Elrond informed me of the conversation that you, he and the Lady Galadriel had, after you discovered Saruman's betrayal. That you wished to find me and ask for my help. Galadriel telling you that you would not have to look. She always knew me far better than most; and perhaps she knew that the Ring had already started to call to me. That it had awoken me from my slumbers and called for me to come to it; to come to him..........."

"And will you.........? Will you heed his call.........?" Gandalf asked, as he gripped the staff in his hand, just that little tighter. The air around them filling with the brightest of lights; it surrounding Gandalf and everything else in the valley; bathing all in a feeling of nothing but purity, warmth, kindness, and love. Gandalf holding himself fast, as (Y/n) stepped forward; the grey wizard seeing that despite her dark garb, she was still everything that she had been created to be.

"Do not doubt me, Olórin. I am not Saruman. Yes, I am guilty of loving Mairon; but Sauron is not Mairon. Whatever was left of the Maiar that I loved, has long since been destroyed. I denied the Dark Lord, three thousand years ago, and I will deny him again now. I returned to ensure that this time, the Ring is destroyed. That this time there will be no more chances for him to bring darkness to this world. If I could take the Ring myself, I would. If I could take this burden from the shoulders of poor Frodo, I would do it in a heartbeat. I would take it to the very heart of Mount Doom and watch as it returned to the fire; but I cannot. So, I will do everything in my power, to protect the one that bears it. Everything to protect the ones that travel with him." The witch informed him, the light slowly dying down, until she appeared as she was a moment before.

"Now, if you will excuse me. I promised Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin that I would join them for breakfast. And if I do not leave now, it will be time for second breakfast." (Y/n) explained, before bowing to Gandalf and turning to head down the corridor. The old wizard taking a seat on the bench behind him, a small smile coming to his lips. Gandalf feeling a new hope fill him; hope that they might now stand a chance.