Hearts and arrows - Part 3 - Kili x Reader

For Avyanna_Zemira

(Y/n) looked out of the small window that allowed light into her little workshop. Normally, she would be working away until it got too dark for her to continue; but today had brought with it something that she hadn't expected......a handsome dwarf whose name she did not get but had assured that he would return with a design for her to carve into a bow for him.

Usually, she didn't see the customers that came into the same shoppe. Usually, she was too busy to get up from her chair and make her way out into the store front. But when she had heard the voice that had drifted into her workroom, she had felt the urge to see whom the gentle tone belonged to. (Y/n) feeling her heart pound violently against her chest as she had seen the pretty face that the voice belonged to. And though she had never met her great grandfather, the old dwarf passing to the next world when she was but a babe; if he had looked anything like today's visitor, she was not surprised that her great grandmother had fallen in love with him. A smile coming to her lips, as she recalled the well-dressed dwarf's eyes, and the way that he had grinned at her. (Y/n) just hoping that when he said that he would return, he had meant it.

Slowly, she got up from her chair; she had finished all her commissions. Really, she had finished all the work that she had had for the day. And given that she knew the larder was looking a little bare of the birds and rabbits that would hang from the hooks on the ceiling and feed her and her father for quite some time, she decided that given she still had the light, she would go out and hunt. (Y/n) making her way over to a large wooden series of draws that held most of her tools; but also, something more important. Something that had passed down from her dwarven great grandfather to his eldest son, then his eldest son, and now to her. Her hand carefully taking the bow from the velvet lined draw.

Bows and arrows ran in her family. It was in their blood to make and craft the most beautiful of weapons; and it also seemed a natural ability to be able to wield the things that they had created. Her kin famed as some of the greatest archers in the world of men. Her great uncles, uncles and cousins vowing their service to many great kingdoms across Middle- Earth. Yet she........the only girl to have been born in three generations, had been gifted the greatest prize; the Bow of Brifan.......Arrowless.

From the time she could understand, her father would always take great delight in telling her, that when the old dwarf had laid his eyes on her that first time, a tear had come to his eyes as he touched her cheek. The tiny (Y/n) having reached up and taken his finger in her hand and held it close to her, before the elderly dwarf had pronounced that she would be the one that would carry his bow. That she had the true soul of an archer, and only one such as she could wield his bow.

It had of course caused a little stir amongst the men in the family; but as her great grandfather had stated, her father was the eldest, and so was his father before him; and that it did not matter she was a girl, for he could see that the tiny girl child, had the heart of a warrior, and would one day help the dwarves of the Mountain. That she would have her name written alongside his in the great books of dwarven history; but until now, the only thing that (Y/n) had been able to use the weapon for, was to hunt small game to keep her and her father fed. The young female sure that that was not what the old dwarf had envisioned when he said that she would be a great archer. And despite the fact that the dwarves once more called the Mountain, home; she doubted that she would ever find herself in those dwarven histories.

"Father........" (Y/n) called out, as she slung the bow over her shoulder and made her way to the front of the shoppe.

"Yes, mi'darlin...........?"

"I am going hunting. All my work is done. If anyone.........."

"Aye, I know. But what if it's tha dwarf from earlier.......?" Her father replied, chuckling to himself as his only child turned to look at him, with a bright blush kissing her cheek.

"What about him.......? He is a customer like any other.........."

"I might be gettin old, but I know that look that I saw in the lad's eyes; that I saw in your eyes. It was tha same look that I gave ya mother the first time I saw her. It must come from old Brifan; we seem ta have a one, like tha dwarves do. Know from tha moment we see tha one we ar meant ta be with..........."

"Father don't be so ridiculous. He came to have a look at our bows, nothing more. We didn't even get his name and even though he said he would come back; we don't know he will. And I did not look at him in any kind of way; yes, he was a handsome dwarf, but I am sure that there are many a handsome dwarf in the Mountain, as there is many a handsome man here in Dale. Now, enough with this foolish talk; I have better things to do than think about pretty dwarves." (Y/n) quickly retorted, before making her way over to her father and kissing him on the cheek.

"I will see you once I have something for the pot." She added, before making her way out of the shoppe. Her father sitting back in his chair and smiling to himself; sure in the knowledge that whoever the dwarf might have been, he would definitely be back.