Prophecies - Part 1 - Gandalf x Reader

"Tell me what you see............" Gandalf said, as the woman dropped her head and took a deep breath. The grey wizard taking a seat as he waited for her to speak of her visions.

Over the years, he had not really been one to come and see the women that claimed the ability to see the future. He knew that most were charlatans, happy to say anything and everything for the right amount of coin. Women that were gifted with little more than the ability to talk in riddles. That, and he knew that daughters of men, were not normally skilled in such things, unlike some elves; yet there was one that had been able to prove him wrong, one that had been able to answer all his questions. One that had been able to give him insight into the future; and that was why he was here now, sat in the darkened room, watching as smoke that came up from small fissures in the floor, surrounded her.

"I..........I..........." She began, hesitantly. Her breath becoming laboured.

"I see many things...........everything is a jumble..........."

"Take your time, my dear............" Gandalf replied quietly, wanting to place a hand on her arm in reassurance, but thinking better of it; the wizard well aware that his touch might make her vision change, might mean that she focused on him, rather than what he really wanted answers about.

"I see green rolling hills, and I can smell the scent of roses and lavender. There is a round green door, and a small man sitting next to it smoking a pipe." She finally continued, a small smile pulling at the corners of Gandalf's lips. The wizard well aware of what she was referring to. That her visions were showing her a place that he knew all too well.

"There are others, too. Thirteen males, not as small as the other, but...............I sense so many things from them........so many emotions. Especially from one........it feels like he carries the weight of the world on his shoulders. That there is a heavy burden that rests upon his brow." Her words making Gandalf's smile grow, and if he had ever doubted her gift of prophecy, he would not now.

He was aware that she had led a sheltered life; that once it had become obvious that she had been gifted, she had been whisked away, and therefore knew little of the world beyond the ancient building that was her home. That she knew nothing of hobbits or dwarves, that she knew nothing of elves; her life filled with a steady procession of those of her own kind, that would come from far and wide to glean some insight into what the future might hold. But perhaps it was time to change that. Gandalf knowing that Thorin might not look favourably on having a woman in the Company, and what's more, an untrained woman that had never picked up a sword, never mind knew how to use one; but those disadvantages, were nothing compared to the benefits that she would be able to bring the Company. And with her by Thorin's side, the wizard was sure that the quest to reclaim the Mountain, just might work.

"I..........." Gandalf looking up at her, as she finally continued.

"I see fire.........I see.........death. A town burned to ashes. Even the water upon which it sat, is ablaze. I can smell burning flesh and hear anguished screams. A great beast flies overhead and casts its menacing shadow over all those that are trying to flee the inferno. It is desolation. The beast wishes to leave nothing and no one alive. It wants to make this town, these people, pay............" She explained, tears rolling down her cheeks, as the horror played out before her eyes.

"I am sorry, Gandalf.......I can't do this anymore, it is too awful." Her eyes slowly opening, as she felt a hand move over hers.

"It's alright, (Y/n); I understand. It was too much for me to ask you to see, though you have answered some of the questions that I had in my mind. Yet there is one thing more that I must ask of you............."

"If you need ask, then ask..............."

"The thirteen you saw, were dwarves; they will be going on a quest to reclaim their home. I need you to be with them; I need you to help them with your prophecies.............."

"Gandalf, I know very little of the world outside this temple. If they need anything, they need a warrior.......they will face many troubles; there quest is not going to be easy............"

"And that is why they need you..........you are truly unique in your kind, and more powerful than you know. I believe that you have far more gifts than you realise, and that those gifts will only be realised if you venture out into the world............."

"But will I still be able to see, if I leave the temple? Will they listen to me.........listen to a woman that they do not know and is not one of them.......?" (Y/n) queried, her brows furrowing slightly, as the old man dressed in grey seemed to chuckle to himself.

"You need not fear about your abilities, it is not the temple that allows you to see your visions. And as far as the Company listening to you..........well, I cannot promise that they will, dwarves are notoriously stubborn, and those of the Company are no different; but we will not know unless you make the journey........." Gandalf replied, as he held out his hand for her to take.

"But where do we begin..........?" (Y/n) asked, as she accepted the wizard's hand, and let him help her to her feet.

"That is simple, my dear. We start in the place of the rolling hills, the place that smells of roses and lavender. The place with the round, green door and the little man smoking his pipe. It is time for you to see the Shire............."