The elf of Lake-town - Part 2 - Bard x Company x Reader

"(Y/n), what.........?" Bard began, as he watched her continue to look at one of the dwarves. The bargeman moving to her side and placing his hand on her shoulder.

Bard had to admit that he didn't like the way that the dwarves, especially the one the elf was focused on, were looking at her. (Y/n) was his friend........more than a friend; she had been there for him and the children since his wife had passed. She had helped feed him and the young ones when times were tough; brought them fuel for the fire when the days were at their coldest. She had watched over his children, when he had had to go out and spend all day trying to earn some coin; and she had been the one that he had turned to, when the days were at their darkest and Sigurd, Bain and Tilda had fallen ill. Bard even sure that Tilda looked to the elleth as if she were her mother; for in truth, he knew that his little girl could barely remember her own, unlike Sigrid and Bain. And even though he still had love in his heart for his wife, he had long ago realised that he had feelings for the elf of Lake-town. That despite the fact that he, his children and their children would pass into the next world, in what was a mere blink of an eye to the elf, he could not escape the fact that he had come to hope that what was left of his life, he might be able to spend with (Y/n).

"You have brought death to Lake-town, Bard.........." (Y/n) replied ominously. The bargeman's brows furrowing, as he looked to the dark-haired dwarf in front of them.

"(Y/n)..........?"

"The dwarf before you is Thorin Oakenshield, son of Thráin, son of Thrór. The one whom it has been prophesised would come and take back the Lonely Mountain. The one that will wake the dragon and bring with him nothing but fire; nothing but death........nothing but a new desolation............" (Y/n) explained, Bard able to hear the growl in her voice as she told him what she meant. The bargeman looking between the elleth and the dwarves.

"How..........?"

"How do you know all this, elf...........?" Thorin questioned, taking the words right out of Bard's mouth. The rest of the Company surrounding their king, as the elleth took another step forward.

She had never had the same dislike for dwarves, as her woodland cousins had. As far as (Y/n) was concerned, the hatred between the two races had been caused by little more than greed, stubbornness, and pride; a foolish mix that she was not interested in getting herself caught up in. The hatred that had grown between Thrór and Thranduil, which had spread to their peoples, was none of her concern; she had little to do with either the woodland realm, or the Mountain, and she liked it that way. The elleth more concerned with the towns of men, for she had lived for so long amongst men, that it was hard to think of herself as anything but one of them; despite the fact that she had watched many generations live and die during her long years. But with the venom that had spilled from the dwarf's lips as he had said the word 'elf', she was beginning to wonder whether she should reconsider that stance.

"I know many things........dwarf. I have lived more lives than you will ever know. I was there when Dale was burned; when your grandfather's desire for gold brought the dragon to these lands, to that Mountain. I did my best to aid those of your peoples, that managed to escape the dragon's fire, when no other elf would. I rescued as many sons and daughters of men as I could, from the smoldering rubble of the once flourishing city of men and help them resettle here in Esgaroth. I am as connected to these lands, as is the line of the Durin's, as any dwarf or any man that has ever lived and died under the shadow of the Mountain; and I will now do all I can to stop you from bringing back the death I once had to witness............." (Y/n) explained as she pushed back her cloak to reveal the hilt of her sword. The dwarves looking for anything they could use to fight the she elf.

Suddenly one of the dwarves dropped, a sweat coming to his brow, as he let out a scream and gripped his leg. A blonde dwarf rushing to his side and pushing the others damp hair, away from his face.

"Kili, what...........?" (Y/n) turning to look at the scene. The elleth suddenly realising that there was an odour in the air; a smell that she hadn't been forced to take in, for many, many years.

"Orc!?" (Y/n) exclaimed, as she took a step away from Thorin.

"You have fought orcs............"

"How did you.............?" The white-haired dwarf asked, as the elleth rushed to the fallen princes' side.

"I can smell the foul stench of the vile creatures. And I can also smell the poison of a Morgul wound. If you do not want your friend here to die, you should allow me to treat him..........."

"What.....? After ya have just threatened ta stop us. After ya have shown us ya weapon? Thorin, don't listen ta her, she will kill the lad..........." The large, scarred, bald dwarf from before interrupted, coming to stand before her.

"I.......I am fine......it is nothing." The dark-haired dwarf on the floor chimed in, as he did his best to sit up; only to let out another pained scream.

"The Valar save me from stubbornness of dwarves and the foolishness of males. I assure you, master dwarf, if I was going to kill you, you would all be dead already. And I also assure you that if you do not let me tend to the young one, he will not get the chance to get any older." (Y/n) hissed back, as she looked to Thorin. The son of Thráin looking at the others; looking at his nephews on the floor, and the pained expression on Kili's face. The elleth quickly turning her attention to Bain, as the prince nodded in agreement.

"Bain, go to the pig styes, and bring me back all the athelas.......the kingsfoil that you can find........."

"You mean the weed.........?"

"Yes. As much as you can get.........." Bain nodding, before quickly making his way out of the door.

"Sigurd, I need some water, and something clean to bandage the wound." (Y/n) continued, before pulling her cloak from her shoulders and rolling up her sleeve. Kili looking up at her, wide eyed, as she dropped to her knees by his side and pulled out a dagger.

"I will have to cut your trousers to see the wound clearly........." Kili looking to his brother, who held him in his arms, before he nodded in agreement. The elleth slicing the material away, and slowly pulling back the less than clean material that had been used to bind the wound. The breath catching in her throat, as she saw the poison creeping through the young dwarf's veins. (Y/n) just hoping that the pigs had found themselves with other things to eat, rather than the kingsfoil that she would need. The elleth gently laying her hands on either side of the wound, before closing her eyes, and praying to any of the Valar that may be listening, that she would be in time to save his life.