A dwarf in hobbit's clothing - Part 1 - Company x Reader

(Y/n) made her way back to Bag End; it was already dark. The day at the forge had been a long one; but she didn't mind. And she certainly wouldn't mind if Bilbo had made something scrumptious for supper; already having made sure that she had washed, so she could just tuck in, as soon as she got back to their warm hole and wouldn't have to listen to him scold her for not washing up; just like Belladonna used to, when she and Bilbo were little. A soft song leaving her lips, as she made her way up the slight incline to where the familiar green door, that had been repainted not to long before, stood.

"Bilbo! I'm home.........." She called out, as she opened the door. Kicking off her boots before looking up. Wishing that she had her sword with her, as she was confronted with a multitude of faces that she did not recognise and certainly shouldn't have been in their home.

"Ah, (Y/n)........I was wondering when we would be seeing you." A tall man dressed in grey said cheerily, as he came out of the front room; doing his best to not bang his head on the roof, or the light.

"G.......Gandalf...........?"

"Will you please let me through........." A familiar voice interrupted. (Y/n) watching as Bilbo pushed his way through their.........guests and came to stand in front of her. Bilbo looking at the males behind him, before taking her hand, grabbing her boots and moving her back to the door.

"I er.........we seem to have guests. Maybe you should go and see Petunia, until they leave............" Bilbo told her, as he did his best to push her back through the door.

"Nonsense, (Y/n) was the last one we were waiting for." Gandalf said, as he smiled at her. Chuckling to himself, as he heard the murmurings from the thirteen dwarves behind him. Doing his best to not roll his eyes, as one dwarf, in particular, stepped up to make his opinion known.

"What is the meaning of this Gandalf? What is a dwarrowdam doing here with your burglar? We do not need any woman, and a child at that. on this quest. We do not have the time to protect her.............."

"And who do you think you are to try and tell me what I can and cannot do, orc face!" (Y/n) growled and she moved around Bilbo and then Gandalf so that she could face the gruff looking dwarf.

"I will have you know that I am perfectly capable of looking after myself. In fact, I could fight and beat all of you with one arm tied behind my back if I had to. And I will also have you know that I am no.......dwarrowdam, I am a hobbit that turned forty five last birthday, and wouldn't go on a quest with you, if you were the last orc faced pig's arse in Middle-Earth.........." She added with a deeper growl; completely ignoring the new murmurs of the other dwarves that noted that even though she did not have a full beard, she did in fact have long sideburns, that did blend in quite well with her mass of hair; but if one knew what you were looking for, as all the dwarves did, there was no mistaking that she was a dwarrowdam. And a very beautiful one at that.

"Er........perhaps I should explain." Gandalf interrupted, as he stepped between (Y/n) and Thorin. Sure, that he left it, the two might come to blows and his plans would be ruined.

"Bilbo, why don't you take your sister into the front room, while I explain everything to Thorin and the others." The wizard continued. Bilbo quickly taking (Y/n)'s hand and pulling her away from their visitors.

"What is going on?" Thorin demanded to know, as he and the others, retook their seats around the kitchen table.

"Why did you call her Master Baggin's sister?" He added. The one that would be king, along with every other dwarf, not quite knowing what to say or think about this rather forthright and opinionated female dwarf, who had just referred to the grandson of King Thrór, as an orc faced pig's arse.

"Forty-five years ago, Bilbo's father, Bungo, had some business in Bree. On his way back to the Shire, he heard the cries of a baby; when he found the child it was alone, just left some distance from the road. No one would have known she was there, if she hadn't made the noise. Bungo made his way back to Bree enquiring about the child's parents; but no dwarves had been seen. So, not wanting to leave the child on its own, Bungo brought her home and she was raised as Bilbo's sister. (Y/n) has always known that she was different, that she wasn't their real child; but she has always refused to think of herself as what she truly is, preferring to see herself as just a different kind of hobbit. But believe me Thorin when I say, that whether you or (Y/n) like it, her destiny lies as much with the Mountain as does your own. I am well aware of dwarven traditions surrounding their females; yet if she does not join this Company, the quest may end, before it begins." Gandalf explained. It obvious that Thorin along with a few of the others were not keen on the notion; yet the wizard knew that if (Y/n) did not agree to accompany them, then nor would Bilbo. The hobbit taking his duties as her big brother, very seriously.

"I'll watch over her.........." A number of voices said in union. Fili, Kili, Bofur, Bombur, Nori and even Ori looking at one another as they stood up and offered the dwarrowdam their assistance. Gandalf doing his best to not chuckle, as Thorin saw that even Dwalin had declared his intentions to keep the female safe.

"I'll write up another contract, lad." Balin said, as he placed his hand on Thorin's shoulder. The prince unfortunately realising that there was little point in protesting. But that didn't mean that he had to like it.