Bows and hearts - Part 1 - Kili x Reader

Kili made his way through Dale. The survivors from Lake-Town had done such a wonderful job at slowly rebuilding the once great city. And now, under Bard, there was a tangible feeling of hope for the future. A future that would see the alliance that had once existed between men, dwarves and elves, reinstated. An alliance that was already bringing new trade to Dale; and that was why the prince were in the city of men, now. The large market, filled with all manner of smells, sights and goods; Kili finding himself laughing, as some children ran around him, before disappearing into the crowd.

In truth, he wished that his brother could have come with him; but Fili had had to stay in the Mountain with their uncle, learning all he could for when he eventually took the throne. So, instead of just moping around the halls and corridors of the Mountain by himself, he had come to see what the traders had brought to the city, this time. Kili sure that whenever he came down from the Mountain, there was a new shop front or stall that caught his interest. The younger prince humming along with the music that seemed to fill the air; just letting his feet lead him around. Kili only stopping as he realised that he had found a small square that he had not been in before. A square that was filled with the familiar sounds and smells of forges; the prince not sure how he hadn't discovered this place before, but he was glad he had now. Kili looking around at all the metalware that was set out for display. Everything from kettles and pans to tools and weapons. Yet it was none of these that really caught his eye, no; that was caught by a shop that had a sign, with a bow and arrows painted on it. The dark prince making his way over; his eyes growing wide, as there on the door to the small business, hung an intricately carved bow. Kili wondering, given the level of craftsmanship, whether some elves had taken up residence in the city of men; his curiosity pushing him to make his way inside the building.

"Good morrow, young master dwarf." A voice suddenly called out, Kili turning to see a large man that seemed to be as broad as he was tall; with a beard that would put even many a dwarf to shame.

"How can I be of service...........?"

"Your........your bows.......arrows......." Kili replied, as he looked at the various weapons that hung from the ceiling beams and walls. Each one so different; some appearing of elvish design, some of that of men; and then others of dwarvish fashion.

"I........I have never seen their like.........."

"Aye, ya won't find better this side of Rivendell. Even Bard has one of our bows. Also comes to us for his arrows." The man declared proudly, as Kili made his way over to one bow, in particular. The tips of his fingers ghosting over the intricate designs, in a wood that seemed to be as black as the mines of Moria.

"I can't take all tha credit though. I only make tha bows, it's my daughter that carves em. Gifted she is. She makes them as beautiful as they are deadly. But don't think that it is all style over substance; their strength is never compromised by her designs. Here............" The large man continued as he took the bow from the wall that the prince had been looking at and handed it to him. Kili shocked, as he realised that there were runes etched into the wood. dwarvish runes; Khuzdûl. A language that was sacred to the dwarves and only known to their kind, and maybe a certain wizard.

"This is Khuzdûl. How..........?"

"Aye, ya right, young master dwarf. My family speaks the language. My grandfather was a dwarf, ya see; born and raised in tha Mountain. Fell in love with a beautiful girl from Dale, before the dragon came. They had six children, and he taught every one of them to speak his tongue; and every generation of our family has leant how ta speak it too. My lass speaks and writes it, like she was a true dwarf." The man explained with a chuckle, as the prince looked between him and the bow.

"Father.....I........oh........I'm sorry." A voice came. Kili turning to see a young woman; the like of which the prince was sure that he had never seen before, standing in a doorway, with a bow in her hand. The youngest nephew of the King under the Mountain feeling his cheeks warm, as she smiled at him and made her way over to join her father.

She was beautiful; more beautiful than any he had seen. And to his mind, the perfect mix of man and dwarf. Kili able to see element of her dwarvish blood, as he could in her father. Though she was missing a beard of her own. The prince more than happy to overlook that, though.

"I didn't know you had a customer." She continued. Her smile getting broader, as the dwarf looked at her through his dark lashes.

"Your........your work is wonderful." Kili finally managed to say, as he reluctantly turned his gaze from her, back to the bow in his hand. An idea suddenly coming to his mind. An idea that would mean that he would get to return to the little shop. That he would perhaps be able to learn more about the family, and the beauty before him.

"I.......I don't suppose that you would be able to make a custom bow, just for me, would you.......?" He asked, hopefully.

"Of course. If you have a design in mind, I would be happy to carve it for you. It might take me some time, depending on what you want........."

"No, no, that is perfect." Kili interrupted with a large smile. The prince happy with the knowledge that that would be the excuse he needed to keep coming back. And perhaps, when his brother and uncle saw his bow, they might want one too; even though they preferred their swords and daggers.

"I......I will be back in with a design. Thank you.........." Kili continued. Shaking the hand of the man and bowing to his daughter, before quickly making his way out of the shop. Forgetting that he had not given his name, nor asked for theirs in return. His thoughts too filled with the young woman's beautiful face and a design that could keep him coming back to the shop as often as possible, for the foreseeable future.