Ch 54

"so you are not going back to him?" Peter asked Amelia who sat beside him at the boulevard.

"I don't know" she shrugged. He came back, but I didn't let his words get to me"

"You don't miss him?"

"I do. I want to go back to him so badly, but I'm scared he will hurt me again. It didn't take anything for him to send me out of the house in the first place, so it won't be hard for him to hurt me again"

Silence followed and Peter was the first to break it. "When are you leaving California? "

Amelia swallowed hard. This was the moment she finally got to face reality. The reality of never seeing Xavier again for a very long time.

"Soon. I haven't really given it a proper thought" she said and immediately her phone rang by her side. She excused herself and took it.

"Hello"

"Amelia it's me Lucas" She heard and she instantly became confused. The last time she spoke to Lucas was when she and Xavier went to the family house.

"Yeah, is anything the problem?" she asked because he sounded worried over the phone and she couldn't help but wonder what had happened.

"Xavier had an accident and is currently at the hospital. His condition is very critical and I think you should see him"

The moment he said those words, her heart skipped a few beats. She swallowed hard and didn't know what else to say. The thought of something bad happening to Xavier made different kinds of fear overwhelm her. Even though she made it clear that she didn't care about him, that was clearly a lie.

Lucas told her the address of the hospital and Amelia began to run down the boulevard like a crazy person. Peter had to follow her because he was also confused.

She cried as she flagged down a cab and Peter got in after her. He insisted they get home to take his car, but she was too thrown off to listen to him nor to tell him what had happened.

"Are you okay?" he asked Amelia who had been trying her best not to cry, hardly.

"Xavier had an accident," she said and he immediately understood her worries.

They got to the hospital and Amelia bolted off. Peter had to pay the driver before running after Amelia.

"Xavier Callum," she said in a gravelly tone to the nurse at the counter. "I am his wife, Amelia Wilson" she added and the nurse nodded.

"Hallway c, ward 3," she said and Amelia rushed off.

When she got to the hallway, she found Lucas, Daphne, and another lady sitting on a seat, but she didn't care. Who she wanted was to see her husband. But before she could get to the ward, Lucas stopped her.

"You can't go in Amelia," Lucas said to her and she immediately felt angry, still walking towards the room. She didn't have to listen to anybody.

Lucas held her by the hand firmly. "The doctors are in there, operating on him you can't go in," he said and tears gathered in Amelia's eyes. She slipped to the floor as she cried hard.

"How bad is he?" She asked as she watched Daphne get up from her seat to help Amelia up, but Amelia was too broken to understand what was happening.

"The doctor said he suffers a risk. The surgery is a fifty-fifty survival rate" Lucas said.

Amelia pressed her lips together. She didn't want to cry because she knew if she cried, it would be so hard that she might faint from it.

"What caused the accident?" She managed to ask in a shaky voice.