Ch 45

"I'll only eat under one condition"

"What?"

"You feed me"

"What?" He was taken aback. He scoffed in disbelief.

"If you want me to eat, then you have to feed me" she raised her hand. "Because my hands hurt like hell"

"You are kidding right?"

"You are old enough to know when someone is kidding or not. Now look at me" She glared at him. "Do I look like I'm kidding to you"

"I'm not feeding you" he enunciated as he took a seat next to her.

She folded her arms. "Then I don't think I want to eat then" she scowled at him.

"Do you have to be so difficult?"

"the devil himself speaks about me being difficult " she scoffed.

"I'm more flexible to work with than you," he said in his defense.

" Then feed me, Mr flexible"

He leaned closer with an amused grin on his face, "or else what?"

"I will just go back to my room and not eat anything. That would be a good way to stain your ego, wouldn't it?"

"You think so casually of me" he picked up the fork and guided the salad to her mouth. Amelia was surprised how he just gave him, but she didn't complain since that was what she wanted.

"I don't. You are bossy. You know that right?"

"That's how I get things done in my way"

"And what happens when things don't go your way?"

"It always does" he shrugged and she rolled her eyes at him.

"Have you spoken to Wendy to make sure she is okay? "

"Yes I did and she is. "

She stopped talking for a while, munching slowly on her food. "You didn't tell me how you know Hardin"

"A one-time business partner" he blurted out, but she knew he was lying.

"You are lying," she said. He parted his lips to speak, but his phone rang, cutting him short. He dropped the fork back on the plate and decided to take the call.

"Lucas" he called out. "No, I'm home. Yeah? What!" He exclaimed in shock. Amelia sat up in anticipation of hearing what had happened.

"Are you sure about this Lucas?" He asked. She could already see the hurt his eyes held. He brought the phone from his ear after a brief moment of silence. He didn't spare Amelia a glance as he stood, rummaging his hand into his hair. The way he did so roughly, Amelia felt he could rip it from his skull.

"Fuck" he cursed while Amelia sat on her seat, staring at him in confusion.

"Xavier" she stood up, walking towards where he stood with both hands on the wall. It was obvious he was angry, but she could still feel his hurt. "Are you okay, what happened?"

Amelia was certain he wanted to speak, but he found it hard to say the words. He slipped from the wall to the floor, placing both his hand on his head. He puffed out air from his mouth before finally speaking.

"Nathan is dead," He said in a gravelly voice.

"What?" She couldn't believe it. " He said he had more time to live"

"Cancer didn't kill him. They don't know what killed him yet" he spoke, his voice not louder than a whisper. Amelia had never seen Xavier so broken before. He was vulnerable at the moment. Even though he tried to hide it, Amelia could still feel it. She concluded from his reaction that they were very close because he did mention earlier that Nathan was an old friend to him.