Ch 34

"let's go inside. We can talk there" he said calmly and Amelia withdrew her hand that was wrapped around his arm. She was so completed distracted to realize they shared such closeness and when she did, her cheek flushed in embarrassment.

She nodded in response, pressing her lips nervously as she tried to smile, but she just couldn't.

He stepped back a little, signaling her to go first. She complied while he trialed from behind. She walked slowly as though Hardin was going to get to her if she walked too fast. It wasn't going to happen, she knew, but she couldn't help but feel fear inside of her.

She entered the sitting room and sat on one of the couches while Xavier sat next to her. Nothing was said as silence followed and she couldn't tell the cause. She wasn't staring at him, but one thing was sure, he was gazing intently at her.

It was something she had known him for and he normally did that when he examined her to get the truth. That was the reason Amelia found it quite hard to lie in his face. One look in his burning, green eyes and she was already melting.

"Can we talk" he called out to her and his voice still had the concern in it and just hearing it alone, made her feel slight comforted

"I don't want to talk," she said. If she involved Xavier, it could make things worse. If she was the only one involved, Hardin might have only her and leave Xavier out of it.

It was called protection, she knew, but she wasn't ready to involve Xavier in anything that concerned dangerous Hardin. It wasn't her duty, but she felt obliged to it.

"You don't look too good, concealing it will make you worse," he said once more and Amelia still had her face turned away from him, avoiding anything that would make her have eye contact with him.

"We don't share the kind of relationship that warrants me telling you my secret," she said and this time she was facing him. She didn't care, she wanted him to know the emotion she was hiding on the inside.

"You are my wife"

"And is that a newly adopted coping mechanism? We are not married as far as I'm concerned. We aren't supposed to be close to each other. We are not even supposed to be having this conversation" she shot out and noticed how his face changed. His eyes softened and hurt clouded them.

Amelia wasn't sure why she flared up like that, but one thing was sure, she didn't enjoy it a bit. She had to do it though, Xavier was bent on finding out what was wrong with her and she wasn't ready to tell him everything.

She abruptly stood up from where she sat, glanced at Xavier briefly, and walked towards the stair with distress and turmoil inside of her. It was hurtful, how she spoke to him, but that was the only way to get him out of it.

She abruptly stood up from where she sat, glimpsed at the Xavier briefly, and walked towards the stairs.

Truth be told, she didn't like the way, she stormed off, but she had to if she wanted her secret safe.

Dragging her feet up the stairs, the frustration that swept through her was terrific and it deterred her from thinking and acting properly.

The sudden feeling of going over to Xavier and telling him how sorry she was, overtook her, but she resisted the feeling and walked towards her room instead. She grabbed the door, knob, twisted it, and walked into it.

She tossed her phone on the bed and ran her hands through her hair, breathing out sharply as uproar flooded her.

Her eyes drifted to her phone and the shiver that ran down her spine was great just by the sight alone. The thought of the messages coursed though she and she shuddered. It was still on her phone and she knew she needed to delete it, but the thought of going over to her phone and seeing those messages once more made her slightly scared.