Ch 22

"Can we go out for a walk?" Amelia said. There was silence afterward Xavier chose to keep her quiet and that was something Amelia hated about him. His occasional casual demeanor was always unbearable. Having her wait for his reply was so annoying. It showed how less important he saw her.

"That isn't necessary, Miss Wilson," he said. Amelia knew he was doing it on purpose just to make her angry. That was the motive of the whole formality.

"What happened to our former agreement?"

"What agreement?"

"The agreement of sticking to Ami instead of Miss Wilson"

"I never agreed to such a deal"

"I made myself clear. You could at least give me some benefits. This marriage is under a contract and I get to do whatever is stated in the contract. Why can't you do mine?" she asked hands akimbo.

"And you think you are doing a good job in keeping to my contract rules?"

" I always try my possible best and I can vouch for that"

"Vouch for what?" Xavier asked, placing both of his hands in front of him.

"Whatever"

"That's more like it" he stopped mid-sentence and turned to look at her with mischievousness held in his face. "Miss Wilson" he completed again just to piss her off. He knew how much she hated his formality. Xavier had this domineering character that could not be tamed. He felt if things weren't done his way, then it is wrong. Amelia sensed it the first time she came in contact with him.

"You are right, sir Xavier" she added the last part in an increasing tone to get the mockery in her voice over to Xavier. It always felt good to feed Xavier with his medicine, as she saw it as a way of teaching him manners since he didn't care about it.

"Are we still going for a walk?" she added

"And we just spoke of defiling the rules" he buried his head inside his phone without looking at her

"I don't know what that has to do with me"

"It's way past your curfew time"

"You are going to dwell on that. It's our honeymoon, for goodness's sake".

"Fake" he completed and Amelia scowled at him. The fact that he always had to remind her that their marriage, the honeymoon, and their relationship were all fake deepened the ache in her heart.

"Still, you made the rules, can't you cut yourself some slack?"

"I'm afraid not. Miss Wilson".

"At least you could address me as Mrs. Garcia instead" she smiled and noticed how his expression changed. The statement also affected her as she practically felt the butterflies building up.

"Too Formal. Plus you will not be bearing my name since we are not married," he said and that was the silliest excuse he had ever come up with in a long time and Amelia resisted the urge to erupt into deep laughter.

"Great. I don't have to go through the stress of changing it back when we get divorced. Do you think Miss Wilson isn't formal, too?"

"To an extent"

"You are insane" She couldn't help but glare at him. He kept her quiet for a while and when she couldn't stand the awkwardness, she stormed out in anger.

****

The fresh scent of the house filled her nostril. It was then she realized how much she missed it. The past few weeks had been the best moments of her life, but still, there was no place like home.