Chapter 12

Xavier looked at her for a while and nothing came forth. The silence lingered, and she ached to know what was going on in his mind. They were both sitting up this time, but no word was said.

"You still haven't told me what the problem is," He said, but she wasn't ready to tell him anything about her personal life. She also knew he wasn't going to tell her about his personal affair too.

*So why does he care?* she almost screamed out *If he was going to keep his affairs private, then why should he show concern for hers?*

"Forget about me, you can go to sleep," she said, wiping her tears off and turning to the other side with a heavy heart.

"You don't look fine," he pushed in further when she was least expecting him to say a thing about it. Xavier never ceased to amaze her. One minute, he would make her feel uncomfortable and the other he was acting all nice and caring. That was precisely what he was good at and no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't hate him.

Amelia chose to keep quiet for a while. If she pretended to be asleep, then he might leave her alone. That was what she presumed inwardly.

"Do you want to go out for a walk?" she heard. It surprised her that he still cared to persist. As much as she wanted to bawl her eyes out that night, she also relished the idea of taking a walk with him. She didn't know how, but staying with him would make her feel much better. He had that power.

He had two superpowers. That was, the ability to make her uncomfortable and the other was the power to make her so comfortable. He was the only one to ever do those two to her.

"Yes," she muttered under her breath. Taking a stroll wasn't such a bad idea, she concluded after many thoughts.

He stayed quiet for a while. She concluded Inwardly that the deal had expired. She sighed in exasperation and just when she was about to drift back to sleep, he spoke up.

"Alright let's go"

Xavier stood up and she followed. This place was strange to her, but she was aching to have a peek around the palace-like Mansion.

They both exited the room and Amelia came faced with the giant hallway. In as much as she had been there before, amazement still clouded her as she looked around the place in awe. The amount of money that was invested in the artwork alone would be massive, compared to the full house.

Xavier stood in front of her with his hands dug into his pocket and his slightly long hair as messy as ever. For some reason, she found it attractive, resisting the urge to run her hands through it, but she immediately brushed the nasty thoughts off.

************
Martin
Martin stared into the blank space as a mischievous smirk slowly crept into his face. He turned to look at Hardin, who seemed lost in thought. Knowing fully well what Hardin was thinking about, he still decided to show nonchalance towards it. That was the appropriate thing to do because it was precisely how he felt about the whole thing.

"You aren't doing anything about it?" Hardin finally spoke, and Martin turned to look at him, puffing the smoke from his cigarette out of his mouth.

"Patience is key" Martin replied and Hardin scowled at him. He was done with that statement. It was beginning to wear him off. He wasn't the patient type, and Martins was the only thing keeping him from striking. If left to him, he would be twisting Jaws and ripping hearts out.

"How long?"

"Long enough, you need to be calculative, Hardin. You can't do as you please and hope to get away with it"

"I don't function that way," Hardin snapped as his breathing increased. The anger building up inside him was so huge that he felt that he was going to explode at any minute.