Ch 39

Amelia was right, he shouldn't worry much. The words calmed him down a bit and he wondered how she was able to do that by just saying it.

He was indeed right when he said she had powers in her, and that gave her the capability to do whatever unimaginably affected him.

Her smile stirred something in him. Her playful scowl was found adorable by him and her tears tore him on the inside. One thing was sure, he never bargained for all these emotions when he signed the contract.

The only thing on his mind at that point was how to get Hardik and also get back at Martin, but now it felt as though the original motive wasn't what kept him in the marriage anymore. Something else did and he didn't want to admit it to himself.

*********************************

Xavier breathed out sharply before raising his hand to the door, he tried to knock, but couldn't. It was hard and it felt as though his hand was not his anymore. He dropped it, took deep breaths, then decided to try again.

He raised his hand to the door once more and this time, he did it, but his mind still raced at the different possibilities that could occur when the door eventually opens

It did and Xavier was finally faced with him. He still looked quite the same and nothing new could be spotted. He still had his brunnete hair and his eyes still had that spark in them. Xavier was glad that it wasn't deemed and he most definitely loved the fact that Nathan didn't look affected by what happened in the past.

Different emotions welled up in Nathan's eyes and none of them could be deciphered.

"Xavier" he managed to call out with uncertainty and Xavier pressed his lips together.

"Nathan"

"How did you...what are you doing here?"

"I wanted to check up on you"

"That's crazy. To think after all these years?"

"Nathan I...."

"You got married too. Your wife is hella pretty. My regards to Amelia" he said and the hurt on his face was apparent.

"Nathan, you don't need to stress out that much, it's not good for your health"

"Does it matter, I'm going to die anyway and you should most definitely not be here".

"I didn't know you were in California I would have come sooner"

"And I'm glad you didn't"

"Nathan... "

"Do you realize how much you hurt me? "

"It wasn't intentional. I was sorry later on and tried to fix it, but you weren't in California anymore"

"Yes that's because I could breathe the same air with you anymore"

"It was hard for you Nathan I know but.... "

"Hard? You think. It was shocking and right after that I got news of having cancer and had to deal with that whilst coping with heartbreak. You know what, Xavier I have nothing to say to you. I think you should leave" Nathan said and was about to slam the door, but Xavier stopped him by placing his feet between the door and the lock.

"Let's talk please" Xavier begged.

Xavier let out a sharp breath and Nathan kept his eyes transfixed on him. Anger was apparent in his eyes and Xavier discerned the justification.

"How have you been?" Xavier asked, not knowing the best way to commence the conversation. They sat on opposite couches and Xavier was thankful for that. That way, he would have to detect Nathan's mood towards whatever he had to say.