Chapter 13

"Why do you want to get married to me," she asked and pressed her lips together nervously as she waited for his reply.

He walked over to a platform along the walkway and sat on it. Amelia did the same while waiting for him to give her a reply, hopefully. He may have already clarified that she wasn't supposed to know the reason and the deal also stated that they were meant to keep out of each other's personal affair, but she couldn't help but ask.

Amelia's curious self couldn't be tamed by paperwork, and Xavier was starting to notice it. He exhaled sharply and looked at her.

"You understand you are going against the deal, right?" She nodded in response, which caused him to wonder what her brain cells were made of.

All his life, he had always had people who were willing to succumb to him whenever he wanted things to go his way, but this lady had a way of questioning him, and occasionally he was amazed by her courage. He noticed something about her, and it was the fact that she was different. Very different.

"And you still want to know?" he asked again in disbelief, and she nodded again. If she was doing this to piss him off, then she wasn't doing a good job. Instead of getting angry at how she was trying to indulge in his personal affair, he was indeed amused at it. That was the least reaction he was expecting. He watched as she stared at him, blinking her big brown eyes rapidly in anticipation.

"I can't tell you" he stated and a look of disappointment washed through her face as she looked away, folding her arms underneath her breast in a childish way. Xavier smiled at her gesture.

"The deal was clear and you confirmed it"

"Still" she turned to look at him. "I want to know why I'm getting married to you. And you won't give me a reason, not even a hint. It's annoying and I think you are doing this on purpose" she said and no matter how hard Xavier tried it was impossible to get angry at her, no matter how hard she pushed.

"We can make a deal"

"I can't with deals. I'm still trapped in the first deal, and you are thinking of making another one?"

"I'm guessing you don't want me to tell you the reason I chose to marry you?" he shrugged, and she snapped her head towards him. She was very curious and ready to go on another deal just to know what he had to say concerning the whole contract deal.

"What deal?"

"I knew you wouldn't be able to resist" he smirked, and she rolled her eyes at him

"Now? "

"If you would tell me what you were crying about a few minutes ago then I might consider telling you what you ache to know" he stated, and she almost lost it

*Was he being fucking serious now*

To cut the story short, she didn't tell him why she was crying and he didn't tell her the reason for the Marriage. Each of them had their reasons.

Xavier opened the room door and they both walked in. The cold Amelia felt was great as she occasionally placed her arm over her shoulder to keep out part of the cold. She shivered slightly, rushing toward the bed. What she craved was to lay herself with the thick duvet and fall asleep.

That was weird when she finally thought about it. It was so unlike her to fall asleep after having a dream of her past. Most times she would stay awake throughout the night and that was the only remedy to her problems.

She had never, for once, thought of falling asleep, but here she was, eager to fall back asleep, not scared of the dream repeating itself. For some reason, she felt so safe around Xavier, and it was the best feeling ever. The feeling of having someone to run to when scared.