A Surprise From the Ministry

When they stepped foot in the Hogwarts Castle, Sera and Hermione were immediately taken back with Professor McGonagall so that they could deal with how they were going to deal with their schedules for the year. 

"Now, I don't want you to tell anyone — I mean it — anyone about these precious objects that I'm going to be handing out to you." 

Sera frowned, furrowing her eyebrows in confusion. "Not even Dante, my brother, or Ron?" 

"Unfortunately, when I mean anyone, that includes your friends, Miss Potter," Professor McGonagall answered sadly. She gave her a tight smile. "I know that you would want to tell your friends. But I had to go through the entire summer, begging the Minister of Magic and the Department of Mysteries to let the two of you borrow these objects. They'll help you manage the time in your classes, specifically the classes that are two places at once." She peered at them over the rim of her glasses, studying them carefully. "I assume that you will be sure to take good care of what I'm about to hand out to you?"

"We promise, Professor," Hermione answered at once. Sera hastily nodded, showing that she would willingly take care of what Professor McGonagall had to offer to them. If it was jewelry that Professor McGonagall was about to hand out to her and Hermione, she would very likely wear whatever she would be given around her neck for the entire year without taking it off at all. 

"Good. I hope you'll take care of these. They're crazy rare in insanely expensive, even if you're borrowing them just for school." 

She went to her desk, opened a drawer, and pulled out a couple of wrapped boxes. She handed each box to Sera and Hermione. Hermione eagerly unwrapped hers without a second thought. Sera went a bit more slowly, unwrapping the parcel with shaking hands. 

Inside was a time-turner, and both of them were identical. The sand in the hourglass glimmered faintly inside. Sera's breath caught in her throat. No wonder Professor McGonagall spent almost a fortune and had to get the Minister's and the Department of Mystery's permission. 

Sera looked up, amazed. Professor McGonagall smiled at their reactions, specifically Sera's. She knew that, whatever Professor McGonagall was going to lend them for the year would be expensive. But nothing like this! 

"Professor, are you sure?" she asked, suddenly unsure. 

Professor McGonagall's eyes twinkled with pride. "You two are my best students. I figured that the two of you would be old enough to handle something as precious as time-turners. Do not tell anyone about these, and make sure that you're alone before turning back time." 

Sera nodded, grinning broadly. 

"Thank you, Professor McGonagall!" 

"You're very welcome, Miss Potter. Now, I'm sure that your friends are waiting for you. The two of you can head back to the Great Hall. I don't want to keep your brother, Mr. Weasley, and Mr. Knightley waiting." 

Sera nodded again. Hermione gave Professor McGonagall her thanks before following Sera out of Professor McGonagall's office. They both hurried to the Great Hall together. Sera tucked the charm underneath her robes, making sure that it would be out of sight from everybody else. 

By the time they had gotten to the Great Hall, the food was already out. When they reached Sera's brother, Ron, and Dante, Sera and Hermione were lucky that the trio in front of them had saved seats for them. 

"Where the bloody hell were the two of you?" Ron asked, bombarding them with questions at once. 

Sera rolled her eyes. She chose her words carefully, making sure to not mention anything about the time-turner that hung around her neck. "Professor McGonagall wanted to tell me and Hermione how we'll be managing our classes this year."