Danger In the Woods

They hurried to Hagrid’s hut as soon as lights out had begun. Their feet pitter-pattered across the soft grass. Harry knocked frantically on the door. Hagrid answered but he seemed a little too hurried. 

“I’m kinda busy t the moment —” he began, but they all cut him off.

“We know about the Sorcerer’s Stone!”

Hagrid sighed. He knew that he couldn’t back down. He reluctantly let the five youngsters inside. They eased their way inside. 

“And we think that Snape is trying to steal it,” Harry added pleadingly.

“Codswallop!” Hagrid scoffed. “You’re still not going onto Professor Snape, are you? Listen. Snape’s helping to protect the stone! He's not about to steal it! A load of bat dung if you ask me.”

“Protecting the stone?” Sera asked. 

“Of course! There’s more than just Fluffy, isn’t there? There’s also spells and enchantments.”

“Exactly! Now why don’t you go back up to the dorms and forget all about this —”

A rattling noise interrupted them. They turned to the fireplace. Hung above the fire, there was a rather large black cauldron. Hagrid took the lid off and used his gloves to take out a large ebony-colored egg. He carried it around like a hot potato before setting it down gently on the wooden desk. 

“Hagrid?” said Harry nervously. “Where did you get that?”

“I know what that is!” said Ron, his voice hushed. “But, Hagrid. Where did you get that?”

“I won it,” Hagrid answered proudly. “From a game of poker down in Hogsmeade Village.”

They watched with great curiosity as the egg began to crack open. Finally, a black dragon emerged, croaking and twittering weakly. 

“Is that . . . . Is that a dragon?” Hermione asked,  her voice full of disbelief. 

“That's a —” Hagrid began, but Ron cut him off. 

“I know what that is!” he breathed. “That’s a Norwegian Ridgeback! My brother Charlie works with these in Romania.”

“Aww, look at him,” said Hagrid lovingly. “He knows his mummy! Norbert! Where's mummy?”
Harry gave him a quizzical look. 

“Norbert?”

“Well, he’s gotta have a name, doesn’t he?” The dragon sneezed, spewing sparks everywhere. Some of them even landed on Hagrid’s beard. He quickly patted them out with his gloved hand. “Oof. We’re gonna need to do a lot of training, though.” He squinted at the window. “Who’s that?”

The five of them whipped around to see none other than —

“Malfoy!” Harry spat. 

“Oh,” said Hagrid quietly. To the five of them, he added, “The five of you should probably get back to the castle before you get caught.”

They left at once, hoping to get to the dorms before it was too late. They still kept their brisk pace even as they entered the castle. 

“Hagrid has always wanted a dragon,” Harry told his friends and sister as they made their way through the great entrance hall. “He told me so, himself, when he first came and got me.”

“I don’t understand,” said Hermione, who furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. “Is that bad?”

Ron stopped in his tacks. Sera noticed that his eyes were wide with fear.