Just A Memory

Sera bolted away from the scene, unsure of what to do. 

"Parseltongue won't save you now, Potter! It only obeys me!" said Voldemort triumphantly. 

Sera ran across the slippery hearth, only to trip over her own feet and fall flat on her face. She was sure that her nose had been scraped to the point it bled. She could feel the heavy slithering of the Basilisk, which sounded as though it were only feet away from her. 

She covered her ears, prepared to block out its piercing cries. But before the Basilisk could even do anything, a shriek from a songbird filled the air. It soared over Sera's head. She heard slashing noises. 

"NO!" Voldemort roared. "Your bird may have blinded the Basilisk, but it can still hear you!" 

Sera, who had been watching the shadows on the wall, finally turned. Indeed, Fawkes had come and saved her from dying in a brutal way. The Basilisk's eyes had been forced out from its sockets, leaving nothing but the bleeding depths. 

Sera slowly got to her feet as the Basilisk continued squealing, howling in pain. But once it heard her footsteps, the Basilisk stopped squealing. It then hissed, lunging itself at Sera. She managed to lunge out of its way. 

She didn't know where to go. Instead, she followed a couple of mice through the pipes, only to be blocked by a dead end. She panicked, silently cursing herself, wondering what she should do. But she was too late. The growl from the Basilisk was hard, and she whipped around to face it. The creature slowly advanced on her, and she found herself slowly sinking to the ground as it tried to sniff her out. 

A rock grazed her hand. She carefully picked it up and gently took it in her hands. Being incredibly cautious, she tossed the rock in the direction opposite where she came from. The Basilisk growled deeply before heavily slithering away from her. 

Once she was sure that the Basilisk had been distracted, she went back the way she had entered and sprinted to Dante Knightley's side. By now, his face had gone more paler than paper, and deathly-looking. 

"Yes, Potter. The process is nearly complete," said Voldemort triumphantly. Sera placed a gentle hand on top of Dante's ice-cold one. She prayed that he could end up being alive. She would risk herself for him, if she could. She glanced up at Voldemort with a look of undeniable fury on her face. "Durante Knightley, the little Blood Traitor he is, will be dead. I will cease to be a memory. And Lord Voldemort will be very . . . . much . . . . alive!" 

Sera was becoming desperate. She gently took Dante's shoulder and shook it gently, muttering his name pleadingly under her breath.

"Dante, please!" she pleaded in a choked voice. 

The Basilisk shot through the water that had been in a puddle. It shrieked in fury. It was then that the Sorting Hat had caught her eye. A glimmering sword inlaid with rubies at the hilt, appeared. Without thinking twice, Sera snatched it from its sheath. 

She aimed it at the Basilisk. The sword felt heavy, and it weighed her hands down slightly. She managed to swipe at the Basilisk's nose, managing to cut some skin off it.

As the Basilisk howled in pain, Sera managed to scramble onto the top of the statue's head. After a few unsuccessful swings, she managed to stab it through the roof of its mouth. But as a consequence, a fang went right through the inside of her elbow. With her remaining strength, she pulled the sword from the Basilisk's skull. She ripped the fang from the inside of her elbow and covered it with her hand. 

But she knew that it was too late. The poison was already seeping through her veins, slow and hot. She glanced up in pain as the Basilisk howled, shrieking. She was surprised that the school above couldn't hear the commotion going on below. 

Finally, the Basilisk collapsed, dead. Sera clumsily made her way down the statue's head and walked slowly towards Dante's side, where she collapsed next to him, dropping the sword and the fang. 

"Fascinating, isn't it?" Voldemort purred. "How quickly the venom of the Basilisk can spread throughout the body. I suppose that you only have a little more than a minute left to live, Seraphina." 

Sera glanced down at Dante's nearly-dead body. She reached her good arm out to him, holding her hand over his. Voldemort just scoffed, looking disgusted. 

"Funny. Of what damage a silly little book can do. Especially in the hands of a silly, little boy!" 

Book? Of course! Why didn't Sera see it?! The diary had possessed Dante in some way, right? 

She knew what she had to do. She reached for the diary and flipped it to the middle of the book. She then enclosed her hand around the Basilisk fang that had pierced her skin. She raised the fang in the air, letting Voldemort get the idea of what she was about to do. Voldemort only looked confused as Sera glared. 

"What are you doing?" Voldemort demanded. It was too late when he saw what the girl was about to do. His eyes widened and he went to lunge for the diary. "Stop — No!" 

But he was too late. Sera had stabbed the middle of the diary. At once, gold light erupted from Riddle's face. A harsh breeze came across Sera's face as Voldemort began to disappear. Ink spewed from the diary, slowly putting the life out of the book. Finally, Voldemort disappeared. Sera breathed normally again, despite the fiery sensation coming from the Basilisk's poison. 

She hard a gasp. Sera looked up just in time to see Dante's eyes fly open. He groaned and slowly began to sat up. Sera noticed that he had inky streaks in his hair. He rubbed his eyes and looked around. Sera could see that the color slowly began to return to his face. Sera covered her wound in hopes that Dante wouldn't see the damage. 

"Dante?" she finally asked. She noticed how weak her voice sounded. 

Dante turned to Sera on his knees. His face went pale again and his eyes went wide with terror. 

"Sera!" he breathed. "It was me. I swear, I didn't mean to! Riddle made me do horrible things all year, and, um . . . oh, Sera! You're hurt!" 

Sera had been so emersed in Dante's confession that she had forgotten about hiding her wound. she must have let her hand lower itself as he spoke. She quickly covered it back up, but it was too late. Dante had already seen the damage. 

"Don't worry about me," she tried to reassure him. "Listen to me, Dante. Ron is here, too. You have to get out of here. Follow the Chamber, and you'll find Ron."

A phoenix song interrupted her. Fawkes soared into the Chamber. He perched on her knee, gazing up at her with teary eyes. Sera gazed back at the phoenix in awe and wonderment. 

"You were brilliant Fawkes," she declared, her voice breaking. "I guess that I just wasn't quick enough." 

The phoenix did not answer. Instead, it lowered is head. Sera felt warm teardrops forming on her wound. The pain seemed to disappear and the wound closed, only leaving the hole where the fang had pierced through her sweatshirt. 

"Oh!" Sera breathed. She had forgotten that phoenix tears had healing powers. "Phoenix tears have healing powers!" She tugged on her sleeve before looking up at Dante with a light smile. "It's alright, Dante. It's over. it was only just a memory."