The Definition Of A Blood Traitor

The next morning, Wood got everyone up early for Quidditch practice. Sera immediately got dressed in her familiar Gryffindor Quidditch robes. She grabbed her Nimbus that she'd gotten from Professor McGonagall early last year, and headed out the door. Wood walked alongside her, giving her everything she needed to know for extra training sessions. 

“I’ve set up a whole new devising plan over the summer,” he announced proudly as they made their way to the field, not before crossing through the courtyard. “We’re gonna be training earlier, longer, and harder.” Sera nodded, letting Wood know that she had heard everything he had said. “What the —?! I don’t believe it!”

They met up with their worst enemy, standing neck-to-neck. 

“What do you think you're doing, Flint?” Wood called. 

“Quidditch practice,” Flint answered calmly. “I booked the field for Slytherin today. Easy, Wood. I’ve got a note.”

“Uh-oh,” Sera heard Ron say to the rest of her friends. “I smell trouble.”

Her brother, Ron, Hermione, and Dante hurried over to see what the deal was. 

Wood glared before snatching the scroll. He unfurled it and read aloud, “‘I, Severus Snape, grant the Slytherin team permission to train their new Seeker ’—” He slammed the scroll shut, looking livid. “You’ve got yourself a new Seeker? Who?”

The Slytherins smirked before stepping aside to reveal none other than —

“Malfoy?” Sera asked, her voice full of disbelief. 

“That’s right,” he gloated proudly. “And that’s not all that’s new this year.”

“Those are Nimbus 2001’s!” Ron exclaimed in shock. "How'd you get those?"

“Gifts from Draco’s father,” Flint drawled in return. 

“You see, Weasley? Unlike some, my father can afford the best.”

Dante spoke up without hesitation, using that smart mouth of his. “At least no one on the Gryffindor team has to buy their way in. They’ve got an all-pure talent.”

Dante still held his chin proudly in the air as his cousin narrowed his eyes at him. He stalked closer to his cousin, but Dante didn’t budge. He had his arms crossed over his chest to show that he was not going to back down, though his heart was pounding nervously. He knew that he was about to get smacked across the face. 

“No one asked for your opinion,” said Malfoy snidely. “You filthy, dirty little Blood Traitor!”

Sera’s head snapped in Malfoy's direction, a look of fury on her face. Everyone else on the Gryffindor team looked just as angry and shocked as Sera did. Dante had actual tears in his eyes, though he still didn't back down.

That was Ron's last straw. He drew out his broken wand.

“You’ll pay for that one, Malfoy!” he spat. “Eat slugs!”

Instead of the curse getting to Malfoy, it hit him instead. He was bounced backwards, landing on his back. The Slytherins burst out laughing as Sera’s friends and her team hurried over to Ron's side. 

“Are you okay, Ron?!” Dante asked anxiously as they helped him to get to his knees. “Ron, say something!” 

Ron couldn’t say anything, except a slug spewed from his mouth, landing on the floor. Everyone groaned in disgust, but the Slytherins were howling with laughter. A flash of light came from behind Sera, and she knew that it was Colin Creevey. Who else would be carrying a camera around Hogwarts? 

“Wow! Can you turn him around, Sera?!” he asked excitedly. 

“No!” Sera answered, Grabbing Ron by the elbow, she hauled him to his feet as he belched out another slug. Harry helped Sera drag Ron across the courtyard. “Get out of the way, Colin! We've got to get to Hagrid's. He'll know what to do. Let's go!" 

When they got to Hagrid's place, Hagrid immediately set a bucket in front of him. They all sat around, waiting for Ron to stop belching up slugs. Sera glanced over at Dante and noticed that he still had tears of hurt in his eyes. 

"Nothing left to do until all of it comes up, unfortunately," said Hagrid with a sad sigh as he placed the large barrel in front of the red-headed boy. The half-giant squinted at the group. "Who was Ron trying to curse, anyways?" 

"Malfoy," Harry answered at once. "He called Dante a . . . ." He faltered. He didn't know what the term he heard was, but he new that it wasn't good. "Well, I don't know what it means, exactly." 

Dante jumped to his feet and sighed, turning his back on his friends. He had his arms crossed over his chest. 

"He called me a Blood Traitor," he finally confessed quietly. 

Hagrid gasped softly before he growled, "He did not!" 

"What's a Blood Traitor?" Harry asked, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. 

"A Blood Traitor is a term commonly used by elite pure-blood families," Dante answered at once. "Like the Malfoys, for example. It's a way to show that they empathize for Muggle-borns and betrays the full pure-blooded families. It's just as bad as calling a Muggle-born a Mud-blood. It's an insulting term, nowadays. It was given my mother after she and my father became ex-servants of You-Know-Who. It was the worst insult my cousin could think of." 

"You see, Harry," said Hagrid, once Dante had finished his rant. "There are some wizard families who think that they're all better than everyone else because they are what we call 'pure-blood."

Hagrid rolled his eyes. Harry looked disgusted. Ron belched another slug. 

"That's horrible!" 

"It's disgusting," Ron added weakly. 

Sera wasn't sure if he was talking about the slugs, or the fact that Dante's cousin had just insulted him. But either way, yes. It was horrible. Hagrid agreed. 

"And it's codswallop to boot. Blood traitor. Why, there aren't many families left who aren't half-blood or less! And we've got our very own, strong Dante Knightley!" That got Dante to smile slightly with tears still in his eyes. Hagrid motioned for Dante to come over. He put his large hands in Dante's small ones. "Don't you think about what that Malfoy boy calls you, Dante Knightley. Don't you think on it for one second!" 

Dante gave him a watery smile in return. He seemed to feel a bit better after his talk with Hagrid.