Strange Voices

Sera had detention later that night with Professor Lockhart. She thought that eating alone in Professor Snape's office had been the detention, but no. She had to work with the most obnoxious person on the planet. And she got quite frustrated about it. She craved every moment of silence she could get, working quickly so that she could get out of that dreadful classroom sooner. 

“Seraphina, Seraphina, Seraphina,” sighed Professor Lockhart as they continued signing stacks of fan mail. “Do you think that there is no other way to spend detention . . . . then spending it with me?”

Sera blanked out. She blinked at the Professor, his question going through her head. She frowned. 

“Um . . . . no, sir?”

“Ah-ha!” said Lockhart triumphantly. “Thought so! Fame is a fickle friend, Seraphina. Remember that.”

He winked, smiling cheekily at the girl. Sera felt queasy, just staring at him. She nodded before going back to her work, swinging her legs since their stools were kind of raised. But before she could put her quill back to the paper again, she heard a new voice, one that she had never heard before. 

“Blood! I . . . . Smell . . . . BLOOD! Let me kill you! Kill! Time to kill!”

The voice startled her so much, her knee bounced against the underside of her desk. She stared at the ceiling, wondering where the voice was coming from, and if anyone else had heard it.

“What?!”

“What’s that, Seraphina?” Lockhart asked. He’d been chattering away to himself while Sera had been concentrating on the voice the entire time. 

“That voice,” Sera insisted. “Didn’t you hear it?”

“Voice?” said Professor Lockhart, who looked a little unnerved. He frowned, confused. “What are you talking about, Seraphina? I suppose that you are getting a bit, well, drowsy. And, Great Scott! Look at the time! We've been here for nearly four hours. Spooky, the way time flies when one's having a good time, isn’t it?”

His eyes nervously scanned across the ceiling. He bit on his lip, hard. A nervous trait Sera supposed he had. Professor Lockhart finally released her, and she quickly made her way out of the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. 

“Blood! BLOOD!” the same voice hissed in the walls again. Sera gasped and put her ear to the wall. “I want blood! Kill! Kill! Kill —”

“Sera!” a familiar voice interrupted her. 

She immediately noticed that Dante wasn’t with them. 

“Where’s Dante?”

“He said that he went to the Gryffindor common room early,” Hermione answered at once. “Said that he wanted to catch up on some homework before tomorrow. Sera, are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m okay,” she answered hastily. “Didn’t you guys hear it?”

Ron and Harry gave each other looks of confusion. 

“Hear what?”

“I heard a voice earlier,” Sera continued.

Hermione looked extremely concerned. But at least she seemed to believe in Sera. Harry and Ron seemed to believe her as well. Sera never lied. 

“Voice? What voice?”

“I heard a voice in Professor Lockhart's office, first,” Sera answered frantically. She wanted to explain quickly so that they could catch up to the voice. “And then again, just —”

She heard a hissing noise that made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. Her eyes trailed up and down the ceiling. She could hear a dull, rumbling noise.