A Warning From a Deranged House-Elf

When they got back from their afternoon shopping, Sera immediately went up to her room on the top floor. She sighed with relief as she got to the familiar door. She set her bags down before opening the door. She flung the door open, not expecting someone to be bouncing on her bed. She shrieked and dropped her bags onto the floor once more. 

She stared at the creature in shock. The creature heard her shriek, and turned to face her with bright eyes. 

“Seraphina Potter! Such an honor it is!” he greeted, his voice slightly croaky and high-pitched. 

Once Sera had recovered from the shock, she had the strength to close her door. She clenched her fists. 

“Who are you?” she demanded, a little too rudely. 

“Dobby, Miss,” the creature answered. “Dobby the house-elf.”

“Not to be rude, or anything,” she pleaded quickly. “But this isn’t a great time to have a house-elf in my bedroom. I’ve got a house full of people! If they find out that you're here —”

“Oh. Dobby understands, Miss,” the elf tried to reassure her. Sera crossed her arms over her chest, waiting for the elf to leave. But he wouldn't budge. “But you see, Dobby had to come. Dobby had to protect Seraphina Potter! To warn her!”

This spiked Sera’s interest. Now, she had no interest for the elf to leave until he told her what he knew. 

“Seraphina Potter must not go back to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry this year!” She was about to ask why, but Dobby answered her before she could open her mouth. “There is a plot! A plot to make the most terrible things happen!”

Sera couldn't stop herself. 

“What terrible things? Who’s plotting them?”

The elf tried to explain, but he only burst into tears, looking distressed, crying into his hands. Sera was getting impatient as she tried to reassure the elf. 

“It’s okay! I understand! You can’t say!”

“Don’t make me talk, I —” Dobby began through gritted teeth. He spotted Sera's bedside lamp and banged his head on it. Sera immediately went back, grabbing the lamp, trying to wrench it from his grip. 

“Gimme the lamp!” she demanded through gritted teeth.

Footsteps stomped up the stairs, causing her to panic. She managed to get it out of his grip and grabbed him by the scuff of his pillow-cased tunic and shoved him into the closet. 

“Get in there! And keep quiet!” she hissed, slamming the door closed. 

A curious Ron burst through the door, staring at his sister with curiosity, wondering why she was standing by her closet door. She stood there casually, acting as though nothing had happened. 

“Sera? What the bloody hell is going on? What’s all this noise we’ve been hearing downstairs?”

“Oh! It’s just my owl Gizmo flying around, making a lot of racket,” she answered, lying quickly. “And I just now sent him outside to get his energy out there.”

Ron squinted suspiciously at his sister. He clearly didn't believe a word, purposefully ignoring the fact that his sister was constantly trying to keep her closet door closed with her foot. He crossed his arms, standing there stubbornly. Sera finally sighed. 

“Fine. I’ll tell you. Come back to my room after lights out?”

Ron stared, alarmed and surprised. But he nodded, still squinting in disbelief. Sera bit her lower lip, hoping that Ron would answer her soon. 

“Fine. But you better tell me the whole truth, sis.”

Sera nodded. Ron glanced suspiciously around the room again before leaving, closing her door shut. Once Ron's footsteps had retreated back down the stairs, she finally let the elf back out. She sighed. 

“I’ve got to go back to Hogwarts, Dobby!” she insisted. “It’s my home other than the Burrow! And I’ve already got my books today.”

She pointed to the bags of books that were at her door. Dobby made a ‘humph’ noise, sticking his nose up in the air. 

“Seraphina has made Dobby very upset.”

He snapped his fingers and he vanished, leaving Sera troubled and confused. 

Why wasn’t Dobby telling her about the dangers of Hogwarts that would occur this year? Did it have anything to do with anyone she knew? 

***

Sera sat on her bed, with her lamp still on, waiting for Ron to come in. She finally heard a knock on her door. 

“Come in,” she answered. 

Ron came into the room, shutting the door softly behind him. He crossed his arms over his chest. He wanted answers from Sera. But he was starting to wonder if any of her answers would be good. 

“What the hell is going on, Sera?” he finally shot off. “And why are we hearing loud noises coming from your room?”

“It wasn’t Gizmo, believe it or not,” Sera answered with a sigh. 

Ron smirked. “Yeah. I figured.”

Sera gave him a look before continuing, “It was a house-elf.”

Sera's answer surprised him even more. He furrowed his eyebrows deeply, confused. 

“But I didn’t see a house-elf, Sera.”

“That’s becuz it was in my closet while you were talking to me earlier in the day, dummy.” She playfully rolled her eyes at him.

“Okay, okay! I was wondering why the door was moving on its own! Anyways, what was this house-elf doing in here in the Burrow”

“He said that he wanted to warn me.”

“Warn you? About what?”

“He couldn’t say. Every time he tried to give me an answer, he would bang his head against my lamp.”

“That’s very odd. Usually, house-elves are told to give people answers. Unless he wasn’t allowed. . . . ” He trailed off.

“Who knows. But he isn’t going to stop me from going to Hogwarts. I’m going, whether he likes it or not.”

Ron nodded, admiring his sister for her stubborn bravery. 

“I like what you have to say, Sera. I’d go, as well, whether I was in danger or not.” He paused. “Well, get some sleep, Sera. We've got a long day tomorrow. We’re going to Hogwarts!”

Sera smiled at the thought of returning home for another year. She nodded. Ron was right. They did have a big day tomorrow. She was excited to go back home.