Nightmare (Dean Winchester)

ANGST/FLUFF

Warning: reverse comfort, Dean's family trauma

Words: 827

~~~~~~~~~~~

DEAN'S POV

"And remember, angels are watching over you", my mom tells me and she tucks me in.

She smiles at me and I smile back. She leans over me and kisses my forehead. When she pulls back she turns on the nightlight on my nightstand.

"Goodnight, mom", I say.

"Goodnight, Dean", my name echoes through my head and next thing I know the room lights up bright orange. My mom is gone.

"Mom? Mom?!" I call out, getting out of bed.

I hear screaming. My mom's screaming. I run to my bedroom door and grab the doorknob. I pull and pull, but the door is not opening.

"Mom!" I scream again.

I see some sort of black smoke coming from underneath my door into my room, darkening the bright orange. In the end I'm left in a completely black room. I run around, but there's nothing to see. That is until I see a bright white crib. Sammy's crib.
I then see my dad standing in front of the crib.

"Dad! Where's mom?!" I run up to him.

He stays quiet.

"Dad?"

His head turns towards me. His eyes glow up bright yellow, the only light in the dark room. I want to run, but my feet are stuck where they are. The yellow gets brighter and brighter until I can't see anything.

"Dean? Deannnn", I hear my mom's voice repeating my name over and over again, getting louder each time she calls it.

*****

I gasp as I wake up. I'm sweating and breathing heavily. In a haste of panic, I turn to my side of the bed and flick the small light on. I'm in my room in the bunker. I look around the room, making sure that everything is right where it should be and then I look beside me. There she is... I immediately feel more calm just seeing her peaceful sleeping form. She's laying on her back, her face away from me. Her hair is a mess and her legs are on my side of the bed. One of her arms is by her side and the other next to her head on the pillow.

My thoughts almost immediately go back to that dream. That nightmare. Mom... God, her screams... I instantly feel like crying. I think back to what happened to Sammy, what dad did afterwards... He changed. Was he even a dad after that? Did he love us? Mom... Where was mom?

"Dean?" I suddenly hear Y/N's sleepy voice. "Why's the light on?"

I look at her and see her squinting her eyes, trying to get used to the light. As soon as her gaze meets mine, my eyes watter.

"Everything okay?" she asks.

"Yeah... Yeah just go back to sleep", I tell her while caressing the side of her face for a quick second.

"Dean..."

"Really.... I'm fine... Just a nightmare..." I say, my voice sounds like I could burst out crying any second.

She stares at me for a while, her eyebrows furrowed in a concerned expression. She then suddenly turns over, facing me, and comes closer. She lays herself right beside me, one of her arms and one of her legs drape over me. Her head lays on my chest. I automatically wrap my arm around her, pulling her flush against me.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asks me softly.

My eyes watter again and my lip trembles slightly.

"It uhm... Just mom", is the only thing I can get out.

She says nothing. I can't keep it together anymore and finally break down. I let out silent sobs and take in deep shaky breaths. I feel one of her hands on the back of my head, pulling me closer to her, making me cuddle up to her instead of her cuddling up to me.
My head is in the crook of her neck and my arms are around her. She kisses the top of my head a few times. My sobs get louder, but the sound gets muffled because I press myself closer into her. I can feel her fingers creeping up underneath the backside of my shirt. Her soft fingers slide across my back. She softly and gently scratches my back with her nails, just the way she knows I like.

She's the only person I feel okay with to open up to. To genuinely talk to about these things instead of having to convince me to. I've honestly never felt safer. Well , except for with my mom. But that didn't last long enough to enjoy....

"It's okay, baby", she whispers to me like she does every night.

She keeps holding me until I calm down. My breath is still fast, but my eyes are tired from the crying. I can feel them grow heavy and just before I fall asleep, I hear her say:

"And remember, I'm watching over you."