Chapter 454

"It's usually not that simple. Humans are far less likely to awaken a monster form than monsters are to awaken a human form. After all, ranked-up abilities manifest what the user desires or needs most. Whether that's skill upgrades for those who cannot do it naturally, a new human form to fit in with society, a massive increase in mana control, or maybe a buff that fits their fighting style. Every rank-up procedure is different. You won't know how it works until you try it."

I continue to stare down at the [Rising Emperor's Greater Form] tag on my buffs portion of my status, then let out a sigh and reply.

"You're right, I might as well try it and see what this new ability does."

I step back and stand in a steady stance, then activate the buff. A surge of energy instantly pulses through me. It's definitely mana-powered, but there's a unique air to the energy that makes it feel like there's more to it than I can comprehend.

I feel my feet being lifted off the ground, and my aura begins to expand and materialize into an outer layer of energy in the exact shape of my body.

It starts off as a pure white glow but fluctuates and shifts in color from grey to dark shadowy black the larger it grows around me.

Thick plumes of dense mana, more powerful than any shielding I've ever summoned in my life, wrap around my arms, legs, torso, and even my head.

I can see through it without a problem.

Even though the energy surrounds me, if anything, my perception of the dungeon only becomes greater.

A swirling shadowy form grows larger and larger, pulling me off of the dungeon floor higher into the air.

I stare down at myself, as I'm floating in the center of this form over 2 meters off the ground and still growing. I move my hands in front of me, and the energy moves in perfect sync without missing a beat.

I take a step forward, and the growing mana imbued creation does the same.

As my feet now hover over 4 meters off the ground, I begin to activate skills; The first is my fire magic.

My main inner body does not ignite into flames as I expected, but the outer layer of darkness mimics the flickering illusion of fire. To push my tests further, I turn to a desolate portion of the dungeon and summon a ball of fire, letting it blast off into the distance toward a far-off rolling hill.

Unexpectedly, the shadowy mana-imbued mass around me manifests black flames of mana at the same time, and a black ball of fire over 4 times larger than what I was expecting to throw rockets toward the grassy hills.

An explosion of mana, and destruction of a large portion of the dungeon ensues, letting the potential scale and possibilities of this power sink in.

I stare down at the ground again, as the form doesn't stop expanding, and take out my sword.

A perfect copy is manifested in the energy form's hand as well.

I swing it across my body, producing slashes of fire that carve up the dungeon for hundreds of meters and leave trails of black flames.

At the same moment, I feel an absurd amount of mana leave my body.

Every slash I throw uses up over 4 times as much mana as it normally would, and the larger my form grows, the more it's starting to use.

I activate plunderer, and energy from all around seeps into my new form to fuel its growth even further. Even more mana is needed the larger I grow. Once my form grows to roughly 7 times my normal human size, the expansion stops.