Chapter 425

A few hours ago, at the top of the Association's HQ Tower in Vice City, a blond-haired woman named Samantha picks up her transmission tablet while she looks out the glass window of the top floor of her office suite.

She is the assistant to the Vice Region's Director.

The transmission tablet in her hand glows brightly for a few seconds before the deep voice of the Director, Brutus C. Matthews, replies on the other end.

"You know I'm out on business in the Apex Region right now. What might be so important that you'd call at a time like this, and on my emergency line? The room is listening."

The tall blond-haired assistant continues to stare out the window as an enormous mushroom cloud of white energy continues to expand at a distance of about 20 kilometers away from the city.

"I believe the matter is urgent, I wouldn't have called otherwise. I'll have all available Vice Region elites sent out on the issue immediately, but I wanted you to be the first to know; It looks like we're having another surge. Or something of similar magnitude."

The Director stays silent on the other end of the call as Samantha recounts the events of the distress signal from the Green Ridge Lookout Dungeon and now the fading white cloud of light that illuminated the entire sky for the city to see.

After a long pause, the Director's voice echoes back through the transmission tablet.

"Very well, secure the perimeter and I'll make my way out there as fast as I can. Thank you for the swift action and professional response."

The transmission tablets go dark on both ends as Samantha watches the remnants of the blast fade away. Her tablet lights up again as she calls all units that are available in the city to make their way out to survey and secure the blast zone as the Director ordered.

Meanwhile, Brutus sits in a dark room with 9 other people at a large round table. The edges of the room fade off into shadows, and no one is able to see anyones exact facial features; there are only outlined silhouettes.

As he puts his small silver tablet back into a pocket, he speaks up, facing the man in the largest seat directly across from him at the table.

"I'm sorry for the interruption, Mr. Freeman. Please, let us carry on with this year's B-Class exam preparations. I'll attend to this matter once we've finished up here."

The large shadowy figure at the back of the room nods slowly one time, then a bright golden light shines from one of the rings on his right hand.

Simultaneously, the same golden yellow glow shines brightly in the shape of a collar around the necks of two A-Class Hunters that sit next to his left and right sides. They both stand up and bow toward the center of the table as the shimmering golden light disappears from their necks. As they both bring their heads up, they move in opposite directions.

One of them uses a telekinesis power to levitate the shadowy figure's chair just above the ground, turning it toward the back of the room filled with darkness as the other man speaks to the remaining people at the round table.

"The Apex Region's Director wishes for all of us to go back to our posts. Even if it is a false flag, it is best we all prepare for a surge in our home regions. We've covered most of the topics we wanted to tonight. Although our trade routes have been limited since the disappearance of a main distributor in the Dark Continent, we're making do with what we have stocked up on for now and what we can farm from the Apex Dungeons. The B-Class Exams are still over a month away, so we shall meet again next week to continue this discussion. Directors, please leave your closing notes or concerns, then you are all dismissed."