Chapter 407

Once I make my way down the steps of the monastery into the main hall, it seems very quiet, and much more empty than usual.

There are a few people dressed in the familiar orange robes walking around, and some eating meals at the tables, but very few.

I make my way toward the usual training room, and press my hand on the door to open it. To my surprise, I see Monk with both of his hands raised in the center of the room as I enter.

The Qi within his body is glowing hotter and flowing faster than I've ever seen it before. Small particles even drip out like a light mist from his fists and create a visible white glow around his forearms and fingers.

The moment our eyes make contact, however, the glow ceases and he drops his battle stance while greeting me with a sigh of relief.

"I didn't recognize your aura. You've... changed a lot."

As the door closes behind me, I cross my arms and walk over to the table at the back of the room. I reply in a nonchalant manner.

"Well, nice to see you too. I tried out some unorthodox training methods."

While taking off my useless gear in this mana-negating room, Monk continues to stare at me and responds.

"H-How? You raised your cultivation base this drastically in just 24 hours..."

I turn, once taking off the final gauntlet, facing him in just my casual workout wear.

"If you have more of those Qi pills I can use, I may be able to tell you. I need to do some tests. Until they're done, unfortunately, I need to keep my method a secret."

He walks over to the opposite side of the table at the back of the room, then turns and starts sifting through one of the crates with gear in it before taking out a small black box.

Once opened up, the bright glow of Qi pours out, and he tosses me another pill.

"That is fine. I'll fund your research if you really believe my disciples and I can replicate it too. Let's spar and see what you can do before I give you any more of these. We may have a lot stocked up, but it is still a finite resource."

I catch it and swallow it instantly, bringing my base back up to full, and Monk's eyes widen even more when he sees my true capacity. I respond while raising my hands and channeling Qi into them.

"Sure, let's spar."

For the next few minutes, Monk and I increase our ability level bit by bit as we normally do in sparring sessions. Starting off slow, then continuously testing each other's strengths.

My movements flow much quicker, and I'm more graceful on my feet, having to use less Qi to get the same effect as our previous sessions. My eyes are more focused on his footwork and Qi flow, rather than just blocking punches and sending my own back.

I match Monk's speed and power to perfection the faster-paced the mock battle becomes. Eventually, we surpass the skill level point at which our last spar took place, but neither of us slows down at all.

Our punches become more full with Qi, and it even gets to the point where on impact, small particles come flowing out creating the sensation of two tsunamis crashing against each other and spraying hot energy around the room.

Loud cracks echo through the training room, and I even begin to see sweat droplets form on Monk's forehead.

Another 15 minutes pass as I begin to near my full strength, and by the looks of it, Monk is nearing his too.

Both of our breathing begins to get heavier, and we both become covered in sweat. We both burn through over 10% of our energy stores in just a half-hour session. Excess Qi fills the room, much denser than it was when we started and Monk's usual serious straight face shows signs of a joyful smile.