Chapter 35: Shopping (Pt.2)

Start from the beginning

"Not really. At least not in this area. Closer to the northern border they often suffer attacks from the barbarians living in the north. Because of the danger the army is stationed there and villagers might buy such wares to protect themselves. There are also people who become mercenaries and guard caravans as they travel from town to town and need such weapons but living in our village they aren't needed." Yichen explained.

"Earlier you seemed to handle that man effortlessly. Have you learned martial arts?" Mochou asked. He had been wondering about it for awhile now and finally decided to ask.

"A little. Traveling with my uncle we spent a lot of time with different caravans. When we did I got to know the mercenaries or soldiers. As a kid they were happy to teach me a little martial arts. Nothing too difficult. Just simple self defence." Yichen explained.

"Are you interested in learning more?" Mochou asked.

The reason he asked was because Mochou saw potential in Yichen and was considering teaching him some more modern martial art skills he knew from his time as a soldier.

"If we ever decided to leave the village to travel I think it would be good to know, even just practicing a little every day to stay fit is also important. However I don't think I need to learn more if we plan to settle down in the village quietly." Yichen said as they browsed the store.

"I see." Mochou said as he mulled over Yichen's answer.

"I wonder if Yichen would be happier as a traveller?" He wondered. He wasn't opposed to the idea, but currently his body wouldn't be able to handle any long journeys so he set that particular conversation aside for the moment.

...

The shopkeeper had noticed Mochou and Yichen wandering the store. However he didn't leave his chair at the back of the shop. Not until Yichen called out to him to get a better look at a hunting knife.

"What kind of hunting do you plan to do?" The shopkeeper asked.

"Mostly small game like rabbit and birds, but with any luck we'll also be aiming for wild boars and deer. We need a sturdy and sharp knife. Something that can handle cutting through the thickest hides." Yichen explained.

"In that case I would suggest the knives over here. Those are sharp but they are more of an ornamental knife." The man said.

Mochou looked at the knives the man pointed to. They were definitely simpler in design but looked durable and well made.

Yichen also seemed to agree and picked up one of the smaller ones.

"Mochou come here and see how it feels in your hand." Yichen asked. When he did the shopkeeper's brow furrowed but only for a second before it returned to the disinterested expression from earlier.

Mochou held the knife and even twirled it around a few times to test the weight and balance.

"The balance is a little off but considering these are all handmade it's pretty good." Mochou thought before handing the knife back to Yichen.

Yichen stared wide eyed and unmoving at Mochou. Mochou had done the little knife wielding show without any thought. It was a habit he picked up long ago. But for Yichen and the shopkeeper neither expected the little GER to display so much skill.

"Is something wrong?" Mochou asked when he noticed Yichen staring.

"Nothing's wrong. You are simply amazing." Yichen said as he took the knife from Mochou.

"Do you like the knife?" He asked after taking it back.

"It's a good knife." Mochou said after glancing at the others. There were nicer ones but given his height and strength the little one Yichen picked out would suit him the best.