Chapter 64 - Edited

(+3 days)

A baby is beautiful and brings happiness to everyone except when he's crying. For instance, now.

(Olivia) "I've tried everything but he won't stop!" – she swings him in her arms.

(Mike) "Maybe he's hungry."

(Olivia) "I've already fed him."

(Mason) "Maybe he wants to sleep."

(Mike) "She tried putting him on the crib but he keeps crying."

(Maya) "Maybe his diaper is loaded..."

(Olivia) "No, I changed it."

Jason keeps crying and we've ran out of options. It's really late and we're all tired.

(Mason) "Give him to me."

Liv frowns at him.

(Mason) "Just give him to me." – he motions for her to give him the baby.

She does it and Mason arranges a comfortable position on his arms. The baby has his head against Mace's chest, because he's not wearing any shirt, and Mace has his arms wrapped around the tiny body.

(Mason) "Hi, Jason..." – he caresses his cheek. – "You have to sleep because we are all tired and we want to sleep too."

Mason is using his baby voice and he's speaking slowly, swaying the baby gently.

(Mason) "You know who's talking? Mason. Your mom's cousin. But you can call me Uncle Mason because I'm basically her big brother."

The baby stops crying and both Liv and Mike's eyes widen.

(Mason) "Now you're quiet, aren't you? Your mom didn't believe me when I said that I could take care of you." – he puts the pacifier on Jason's mouth.

The pacifier starts moving meaning that Jason is sucking on it and I have to admit that that is the cutest thing I've ever seen.

(Mason) "Now, I'm going to tell you a story for you to sleep okay?"

He starts climbing up the stairs and we follow him into the baby's room. Mason sits on the rocking chair and puts his feet on the toy box that is nearby.

(Mason) "Once upon a time... There was a gang leader."

(Olivia) "You're not telling him the story of how you and Maya met."

(Mason) "He can't even see my face, you know he won't remember anything I say."

She shakes her head.

(Mason) "Just leave me alone you two."

Liv puts her hand on my back and then leaves with Mike. I sit on the other rocking chair in front of them.

(Mason) "As I was saying before mama bear interrupted me... There was a gang leader who thought he owned the world."

He gives me a quick glance and starts swaying with the chair.

(Mason) "But... One night, he met this beautiful woman that changed his mind. You see, this gang leader didn't care for a relationship. All he wanted was easy women because, well, they were easy but he never realized how good it was to have just one amazing and incredibly beautiful woman to settle with."

I smile. The baby's eyes start become heavy.

(Mason) "When bad things happened to the woman, the man finally realized that he'd have his chance and so he did. He brought her to his team and gave her a position where she'd be with him all the time. But because life would be too easy, other bad things happened and the gang leader's family had to move to the girl's father's house."

The baby is already sleeping and Mace knows it but he's still telling the story.

(Mason) "On that house, a lot of things happened. Your mom found out that she was pregnant with you and I had the best birthday gift ever."

I laugh quietly.

(Mason) "Which someday I'll tell you but not now or your mom will kill me." – he chuckles. – "Moving on... I think that that day was the same day that I got that woman from the bar pregnant and I have to admit it to you so no one knows." – he smiles because he knows that I'm there. – "It was the best thing I've ever done and can ever do in my life. Because now, I'll have a beautiful baby with the woman I love the most in the whole universe."

He looks at me and smiles making me smile too. He looks to the baby again.

(Mason) "But bad things aren't over yet... But I'll do anything I can to protect that beautiful woman and our beautiful boy. And you and your mom... I'll do anything to protect my family..." – he kisses the baby's forehead.

He gets up from the chair and gently puts the baby on the crib, covering him with the tiny blanket that has his name on it. He grabs my hand to help me get up from the chair. I smile and we walk to our bedroom. I get in the bed and he climbs in too after me. I turn my back to him but he turns me around, for me to face him.

(Mason) "I want to enjoy every moment I have to look at you."

I smile and I kiss him softly. I leave my eyes closed for the rest of the night.