Chapter 46 - Edited

(+3 days)

I wanted to ask my dad what he's been hiding because I'm not the only one who thinks that something's wrong. On the day after the weird conversation about the wedding, I tried to talk to my dad to see what he was hiding but he wasn't in his room. Actually, he wasn't even in the property. Phil said that he left to take care of some businesses and he thinks that my dad is acting weirdly too lately...

So now, I'm going to his house because he came back last night and I'm going to talk to him. Phil opened the door for me and I'm climbing up the stairs towards his bedroom. Before my knuckles hit his door, I hear him talking on the other side.

(George) "Look, I told you you have to hurry up and you really have to. They wanted to perform the wedding next week and I managed to delay it. So your plan has to work or this will be all for nothing."

He pauses. His voice is the only one I hear so he has to be on the phone.

(George) "Everyone is just fine..." "Better now... It was a lot harder at the beginning but they are all better now..." "Yes, I know but you made the plan. So whatever happens it's your responsibility, I'll pretend I didn't know anything." "Yes, they'll believe me!" "I've been careful." "Well, if you keep pushing me I'll end this right now!" "I have to hang up now." "Just, hurry up!"

I hear some noises on the other side and I run out of the house. I get inside of mine and I lean on the door.
What the hell?! Is he betraying us?! I knew it would be too good to be true...

I walk outside again towards his house and I see him getting out of it.

(George) "Hello, princess."

(Maya) "Don't you princess me! Who were you talking to?!"

His eyes widen.

(George) "How did you know?"

(Maya) "I was gonna talk to you and I heard the conversation. Who is it?!"

He sighs.

(George) "It's a friend."

(Maya) "And what plan is this?!"

(George) "He has been working really hard to find James."

(Maya) "We are looking for James! Why do you want more people involved?!"

(George) "There aren't enough people to look for him."

(Maya) "Why can't he work with us?"

(George) "Because he has... specific methods."

(Maya) "Like what?"

(George) "Can you stop with the questions?! Trust me, he's a good guy!"

He walks past me. I clench my jaw and I go to the pool. I lay on a chair and I close my eyes.

(Mike) "Is everything alright?"

I open my eyes to see Mike sitting on the chair next to mine.

(Maya) "Yeah..."

(Mike) "You don't seem very convincing..."

(Maya) "Don't worry." – I smile.

(Mike) "I believe that people don't ask you this but... How have you been?"

I frown.

(Mike) "They think that just because it has almost been two months that you're fine and that you've moved on but I know you haven't... I haven't..." – he says it almost like a whisper.

I sit on the chair facing him.

(Maya) "It's exactly like you said. People assume that everything is fine when it's not... The hole is still there... The emptiness is still there... Everything is still there and probably worse. We've perfected the whole «hiding our emotions» thing... Haven't we?"

(Mike) "We have... Liv thinks that I'm okay... I am in fact okay... when I'm with her. When I'm alone, everything crumbles... I still cry, you know? It's probably weird but I do."

(Maya) "I cry too... And I've been having nightmares every night. I know how you're feeling and you know how I'm feeling despite the different positions..."

He sighs and rubs his eyes.

(Mike) "Do you think this will get better?"

(Maya) "I think it will... when we find the guy that killed him and when we finally have your revenge. We'll know that finally he can rest in peace and we can live our lives... We can move on..."

(Mike) "Yeah... I can believe in that." – he smiles.

I smile.

(Mike) "Uh... Don't say a word about our conversation to Liv, please... She already has a lot to deal with."

(Maya) "I won't."

He smiles and leaves. I lay back on the chair and I fall asleep.