Chapter 30: What I Want

En başından başla

"I suppose that's true." Mochou said with narrowed eyes. Then seconds later he seemed to brush his doubt aside and smiled once more.

"Let's head over to my favourite spot at the river. It's a bit far but it's quiet and I've never seen anyone go there so we can definitely be alone." Mochou suggested.

"Okay."

Originally Yichen wanted to spend the day lazily at home with Mochou. However Mochou was right about them needing food. There were still some vegetables at the hut, but Mochou would require meat if he was going to recover quickly and gain weight.

So when Mochou suggested they catch some fish he wasn't going to object to the idea. In fact the more he thought about it the less he was against it.

"We can still chat even when we aren't at home. Plus my bae is way to little. I need to fatten him up or he'll freeze this winter." Yichen thought as they walked over to the river.

It took awhile but eventually they reached the quiet and secluded part of the river Mochou had decided to call his favourite spot. It was quiet and the trap he made was left exactly where he put it the other day.

A little excited Mochou grabbed the trap to show and explain to Yichen how it worked.

"How surprising? When he set traps in the forest Mochou was very quiet, almost secretive about them but now he's explaining every step and thought behind the design? Is it because I'm his husband now?" Yichen wondered as he listened to Mochou.

Yichen's assumptions were correct. Although Mochou wasn't doing it consciously he did let down his guard after their marriage. Like a wall being torn down from around his heart. A wall that was formed layer by layer after enduring rejection, hate, prejudice, the apocalypse, and of course betrayal.

Those walls were still there but Yichen now had the only key that could open the door to his heart.

...

Where do you want me to set it?" Yichen asked as he stepped into the water with the trap.

"Put it somewhere that's near plants or where fish like to go." Mochou instructed from the riverbank. Yichen did as asked although he didn't think it would really work.

"I'll let him try for awhile but when it gets a little later and there's nothing inside I'll go catch him a few fat ones." Yichen decided as he secured the trap in the water.

When he came back out Mochou had wandered off somewhere a little further away. With long quick steps Yichen hurried over to his side.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"Looking for anything edible. This place has the oleaster berries but I've picked most of the ripe ones. I'm hoping to maybe find something else. Hawthorns would be great." Mochou said as he looked around the area.

He knew hawthorn trees didn't like too much water so he didn't expect to find any really close to where they were, but there was a forest not far away and he planned to wander over for a look.

"Hawthorn? I have some in my medicine kit. But to get it fresh... We might have better luck in a forest." Yichen said his eyes also wandering to the forest not far away.

"Should we go look?" Mochou asked while pointing at the forest.

"Okay."

...

The two men wandered around the forest. Unlike the one by Mochou's house this one wasn't as dense. Walking in it the sun still shined bright and it was easy to walk.

Yichen glanced down at Mochou's hand. He was purposefully standing on Mochou's right. The side with his good arm and had hinted a few times what he wanted but Mochou was rather oblivious.