Ghost London's last nightmare 5

Tyler and John did their best, they really did. They shot as fast and precisely as they were able to despite their poor condition.

But in the end, it wasn't enough. Eventually, Mavarel's body was entirely covered by the purple flames of the Nova beast, and Mavarel descended from the ceiling, not like a god but like a demon coming straight for the deepest pits of hell, advancing toward them crawling on his eight limbs as a spider would.

It wasn't that the bullets didn't work at all: despite his incredible durability, Mavarel had definitely taken much damages, and even after finishing to absorb the Nova beast's energy, he still showed some slight trouble to move, though not too much. But even then...

"Urgh, well, look like it's the end..." Tyler said right before his legs abandonned him and he fell down. "Ouch! Sorry John... I wanted to be the one to kill this bastard... but it seems you're gonna have to end it on your own... urgh..."

Now that the adrenaline was dissipating, not only Tyler was getting short on strength, his legs not able to stand anymore, but now, the pain ofhis shattered right arm was coming back at him, making him suffer to an extent he didn't ever experience until now, paralysing him.

John threw a short look at Tyler, then focused back on Mavarel. It seemed that the final fight would be one on one between a mix of three superpowered creatures, and a mere human. Completely unfair...

'But I guess I'm used to it now' John sighed internally.

Then, he engaged the fight with Mavarel, running toward him before the abomination could get to them, so Tyler wouldn't be implicated in the battle. It was as unfair as one could've guessed: Mavaret not only physically outstated him in almost every possible way, but his body also obtained some of the Nova beast's special attributes: each time John somehow managed to land a hit, it went through Mavarel's body, and conversely, John could feel every hit very clearly.

He managed to dodge or deflect most of the hits, but even then he felt as if his life was hanging by a thread. With claws that had grown on them, Mavarel swung two of his four arms toward John's neck and shoulder. The latter lowered himself to avoid the strike to his neck and used the back of his hand to deflect the other.

He then used this opportunity to swiftly get behind him, and shot Mavarel with his gun, only for the bullet to go through him. On the other side, the monster didn't miss him as one of his four legs kicked John away, sending him crashing against the wall, almost going through one of the windows. With a powerful push of his eight limbs, he jumped on John, who barely had the time to roll on the side to avoid a certain death.

"It's... useless... please... accept... salvation" Mavarel said.

John took out his impulsion gun too, and started firing toward his opponent with both his weapons, but to no avail: the parts of his enemy's body that the bullets reached simply evaporated, and then reformed in a matter of second.

John had seen it in the terminal with Nova-C-8394: dozens of missles and multiple impacts against a magnetic barrier had barely been enough to inflict several damages to it, not even killing it. Even though Mavarel's body was only partially that of a Nova beast, the one in question was a A-rank one, not just a C-rank one. Most likely, he wasn't much easier to kill than Nova-C-8394.

John tried throwing a grenade at him but failed pathetically: Mavarel didn't even let it pass through it, he simply moved one of his large limbs strike it back toward John, who threw himself to the ground. The grenade exploded close to the whole behind him and, even through the suit, he felt the hair of his forearms start to scorch.

With a quick glance behind him, he saw that the explosion had started a small fire in the bell hall. Considering that most of its structure was made of wood, the fire was likely to invade the entirety of it in a matter of minutes, but John didn't have the time to care about it as his spider-like opponent attacked again.