Funny tale and souvenirs

Color disappeared from John's face as sweat beads rolled on his forehead:

"What do you mean, strings of Fate? What even is this?"

"Oh, sorry, maybe you didn't know it was called like this?" Cain joked. "Or maybe you don't want to talk to strangers? If that's it, my name is Cain. I don't drink, I'm an awesome guy, I like being friend with everybody and I'm the best magician the world has ever known. Oh, and one time I tried to replace my eyedrop with lemon juice, which I now know isn't a good idea"

Cain got up and shrugged with a smile visible on his face:

"There, now you know me. Now, why don't you tell me a bit about you?" he said. "Or better, why don't you let me guess? Hmm, let's see... you don't seem to be someone with heaven-defying abilities, so I only see one reason for you to be able to move the strings, and not much more reasons to do it either"

As if in a nightmare, John was paralysed by awe as Cain approached his mouth from the massive man's ear and whispered some words in it. John didn't thought it possible, but he paled even more.

"Hehe, seeing you're reaction, I guessed right, didn't I? Hehe, I'm such a good magician I can even unravel people's lives and objectives... ehm, logical guesses are also a form of magic... isn't it?" Cain asked before coughing a bit, walking to his mask.

The mask now revealed some small cracks from the monstruous punch John threw earlier, unlike Cain's face which was still unscattered. The latter put it back on anyway:

"But anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I want to be your friend" Cain said. "After all, if my guesses really were right, then we share the same goal. I simply want to work with you to reach it"

He extended his hand in front of John:

"Come on, John, let's be friends and work together" he said. "I know that the Paradise Council isn't what you wish to stop the most. Take my hand, and I'll grant this wish for you"

John looked at his hand for a moment. Was that a betrayal? Was he currently betraying Tyler and Erica? Just this thought was enough for a pang of guilt to pierce his heart.

And yet, after some hesitation, he still chose to take the magician's hand.

Ordinarily, John would only choose the best solution over his moral and personal feelings. To help Harry get his revenge at Penny's demand, just this once, he decided to make an exception and run after director Arsin.

But that was all it was: an exception. And this time, John actually chose the best solution over his own feelings.

A quote he said to Tyler came to his mind: 'Really, it's funny that humans try so hard to save others, only to better lose themselves'.

'How ironic, not even able to follow my own advice' John thought with a bitter smile.

"So, what's your plan exactly?" he asked Cain. "Even the Paradise Council probably can't do anything about 'this', so how are we gonna do exactly"

"Well, it's a bit long to explain, and we don't really have the time to talk about it in this situation, but if I had to tell you something..." Cain said, letting the suspence build up. "... did you already hear this funny tale about people called the Great Sins?"

.

.

Meanwhile, in the hidden hangar where the spatial ship was, Erica was panting, covered in scratches, slight bruises and burnt marks.

"Phew... it was a lot... harder than I thought..." she thought out loud. "Most likely, I would've actually needed the ship if it was one of the strong ones. Don't you agree?"