Chapter 67

"Your parents hate me."

Theo laughs while he taps the ash of his cigarette into the ashtray resting on his knee. "They don't hate you."

"Okay, maybe the word hate is a bit too strong, but I don't think they liked me very much. How could they when I'm not Megan?"

And when I will never be able to give them grandchildren...

He sighs and his fingers lightly brush against the back of my head while he holds his cigarette between his lips.

"I'm sorry about that," he says once he's holding his cigarette between two fingers again. "They were only asking about her because they've known her for so long. It wasn't anything against you. They liked you, Milia." He takes a drag of his cigarette and exhales, then leans closer to kiss my cheek. "More importantly, I like you, so you don't have to worry about them."

"How can they like Cal but not me?" I wonder out loud, and Theo chuckles at the way I'm blatantly ignoring everything he just said. His lips brush against my jaw and down the side of my neck, making it difficult to continue my complaints, though I still manage to mutter, "He's such a suck-up."

Theo grins against my neck before he kisses it again. "Cal has a lot to suck up for, and he knows it. He's left a couple of bad impressions over the years. They're not the type to hold things over your head though. At least, not in a malicious way." He speaks close to my ear, only moving away momentarily to butt his cigarette out in the ashtray. "Now stop worrying about them. I'm going to start thinking you care about me or something."

More like, I'm desperately in love with you. Even if I can't manage to say those words out loud.

"Ha." I take a long drag of my cigarette and blow the smoke out slowly. "In your dreams, big guy."

"Yeeaah," his low voice draws out in my ear, "you're in my dreams, Princess. Every night, in a dozen different scenarios, wrapped up in my arms and—"

"Fuck me, I need a cigarette," Cal's voice as he comes up the stairs onto the porch interrupts Theo's sexy confession, and I resist the urge to whip the glass ashtray resting on Theo's knee at his head.

Theo extends an arm to hand Cal his pack of cigarettes. He makes no effort to lean forward though, keeping his face in the crook of my neck while Cal steps forward to retrieve them.

"Thanks," Cal mumbles around the filter of the cigarette he's placed in his mouth before he lights it. He returns the lighter to the cardboard pack and rests it on the porch railing behind him. He takes a few drags while he frowns down at his feet, then slowly raises his eyes to take in Theo and I on the porch swing. "I stand behind what I said. Seeing you two together is so fucking weird."

I narrow my eyes at him. "Yeah, 'cause walking in on April giving you a blowjob wasn't weird at all for me."

Cal has the decency to look slightly embarrassed but a grin spreads across his face when Theo makes an uncomfortable sound and hides his face against my neck. I can't help but laugh a bit myself.

Cal's grin slips away. He lets out a quiet sigh and then turns away to look out at the street.

Theo sits up after a moment. He looks from Cal to me and then back to where Cal is standing. "As much as I hate to say this," he starts slowly, "I kinda figured you'd be too busy with April to want a cigarette tonight... Is everything okay?"

"Yah," Cal answers a little too quickly to sound convincing. He sighs again and slowly turns to look at us with his cigarette firmly pressed between his lips. He takes his time breathing in the nicotine and then exhales.