Chapter 57

"You up?"

I am up. I'm currently staring at my phone, trying to build up the courage to send a similar text to Theo.

But it isn't Theo texting me.

"Really Cal, you're sending me you up texts after your wife fed me dinner?"

"Ha. Get dressed. I'm coming over."

"Why?"

When I don't get an immediate reply, I squint at the time on my phone. It's after midnight. Why the hell is Cal coming over here now?

With a sigh, I sit up from where I'm lying on the couch and go unlock the front door.

I don't have to worry about changing out of my pyjamas because I never bothered changing into any. Leggings and a hoodie are comfortable enough for lounging on the couch and staring at my phone like a lovesick teen. I don't expect to get much sleep without Theo around, and my pyjamas could probably use a wash anyway.

There's a soft knock on the door a moment later, and I open it for Cal to step through. He's holding a thick blanket over one arm.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, studying his face to figure out if something is wrong. "It's almost one in the morning."

"I know. The timing is supposed to be perfect though," he explains with a shrug. "I'm just glad you're still awake. Let's go."

He takes my hand in his and starts pulling me through the living room towards the kitchen.

"Cal..." I pull back on his hand slightly but he doesn't stop walking or pulling me along. "Are you okay?"

He didn't look high when I saw his face. He doesn't seem very stressed either... But this is weird, and I'm concerned for him.

"Did something happen with April?"

He looks over his shoulder at me with a devilish grin. "Yah. She woke up and was feeling better... Kinda weird of you to ask though, Em."

"For fucks sake, Cal. That's not what I was getting at!"

He fucking giggles to himself and keeps tugging on my arm until we're standing at the back door in the dark kitchen. Once he has released his hold on me, he unlocks the door and then steps onto the back patio where he shakes out the blanket and lays it down on the wooden boards.

"Come on," he says while sitting on the blanket and then lying back to look up at the sky.

I sigh and shake my head with bafflement. It turns out, Cal doesn't have to be high to be batshit crazy... though I feel like I already knew this on some level.

Lowering myself on the blanket, I follow Cal's lead and lie down on my back.

I wait for him to finally explain what the hell is going on, but when he doesn't say anything for a full minute I turn my head to the side to look at him. "Are you going to tell me what's going on?"

"I'm waiting for my eyes to adjust," he answers simply.

"Adjust to what?"

"The darkness."

"Cal—"

"Shh. You should look up at the sky. Your eyes will adjust faster."

I turn my head away from him to look up as a scowl settles over my face. I shift in place, trying to get more comfortable, and now it's Cal's turn to look at me.

"Here," he offers while stretching an arm out above my head.

I sit up a bit to scoot back and then rest my head on his bicep.