Chapter 12

--NOW--

I barely have time to fill Cal in with what Marissa said about Mr. Scott, before April and Emy come through the door.

Cal stands up to greet them, and Emy immediately reminds him that he had said he would help her with homework. Why a six year old has homework is beyond me. They probably send her to some overpriced, private school, if the look of their house is any indication.

At least when Cal decided to get married, he was smart enough to marry rich.

"Could you show Em to her room? I didn't get the chance to yet," Cal says to April, just before he swings Emily up into his arms.

Her princess dress twirls around her, and her giggles fill the room, while Cal begins to spin her around in circles.

"Cal, you're going to make her sick," April warns with a laugh in her voice.

Cal stops spinning and dramatically staggers to the side, pretending he is close to falling over.

"Or yourself," April adds with another laugh.

"Again! Again!" Emy shouts, and Cal begins to spin in circles once more.

When he stops, he smirks at April and I, and then mumbles, "Uh oh," and runs to the kitchen with a shrieking Emy still in his arms.

The sounds of obvious fake gagging come next, along with more shrieking laughter from the little girl.

"April! April! Come quick, there's a huge mess in here for you to clean up!" Cal's voice calls from the kitchen.

April pulls a disgusted face, like she is imagining the real thing, and calls back, "Since it was Emy who insisted that you spin her more, I think she can help you clean up!"

"You heard mom," Cal says matter of factly, and a second later Emy is laughing again and sounding close to hysterics.

April grins at me and then walks toward the kitchen. I follow behind her, curious to see what all the laughter is about.

When we walk in, we find Emy on her back on the floor, her arms stretched over her head with her little hands in Cal's. He's bent forward and walking backwards, carefully dragging the little girl across the glossy tiles that make up the kitchen floor.

He looks up at us when we walk into the room, and the beaming smile on his face almost makes my heart stop. "I couldn't find the mop, but it turns out monsters work better," he explains with a twinkle in his eyes.

Emy kicks her feet and shakes her arms like she's attempting to escape, but it's obvious by her open mouth smile and unstoppable giggles that she doesn't really want to get away. "You didn't even look for the mop, Dad!" she accuses, to which Cal simply shrugs.

"Like I said, monsters work better!"

"Alright, alright," April says with another laugh as she claps her hands together, "I hate to be the one breaking up the fun, but it's getting late. You do have homework, Emy, and you're going to need a bath after being used as a mop."

Cal stops dragging Emily and pulls her to her feet.

"He didn't actually barf, Mom," Emy explains with a scowl, causing Cal to laugh under his breath.

April smiles at her. "I know that, dear, but you still need a bath tonight. Go get your workbook from school so dad can help you."

Emy looks at Cal with a small pout, and he shakes his head at her. "Don't give me that look. Listen to your mother. I only get to be the fun one when she's being responsible, remember?"