Chapter 26

Holy shit. What am I doing?

And more importantly, what is he doing?

For a fraction of a second, he didn't do anything. I was about to pull away, but then his hand moved from resting on the swing behind my head to curl around the back of my neck.

And holy fuck, Saint Theodore can kiss.

He gently holds me in place while his full lips, feeling warm and authoritative, move against mine. He's somehow perfected the balance between sweet and sensual, with the most exquisite touch of power driving the action, guiding my mouth to move with his exactly the way he wants it.

The only problem?

It's over far too soon.

Seriously. He doesn't even put his tongue in my mouth. And oh, how I want his fucking tongue in my mouth.

His lips move from mine, leaving barely an inch between us. I feel his warm breath against my face, and without opening my eyes I lean toward him, seeking the fire I haven't felt in years.

But my lips meet nothing but air.

I open my eyes, just as Theo murmurs near my ear, "He didn't notice. Already went inside. Better luck next time, princess."

The fire inside of me is extinguished as quickly as it was lit. I attempt to lean back, needing to put space between us, and Theo drops his hand from behind my neck to allow it.

There's a stupid, little grin on his face. At least, there is until I slap my open hand against his cheek.

He blinks in surprise, then his eyebrows knit together with a frown. The skin that isn't covered by his beard begins to turn red, and he reaches up to rub the spot. "Ow."

I raise my hand to slap him again, and his frown intensifies. "Do not hit me," he speaks in a low voice that means business. He doesn't need to bark or growl to get his point across.

I drop my hand again and stand up from the porch swing.

Theo stands up too and takes a step toward me, but I don't give him a chance to get any closer. I back away toward the stairs, thankful that his sore leg will keep him from being able to catch me.

"Emilia," he says my name softly and extends a hand toward me. "Could we—"

"Fuck off, Theo. Just leave me alone, okay?"

"Okay, but could you just tell me—"

I turn away and walk down the stairs, coaching myself with every step.

Don't run, just walk. Don't give him the satisfaction.

"Milia," he calls after me. "Milia, come back, please. Could we just talk for a minute?"

"What do you not understand about "Fuck off", Theo?" I snap out the question without looking at him and continue to move toward Cal's house. "I'm sorry, okay?! I shouldn't have hit you, and I definitely shouldn't have kissed you. Like you said, Cal didn't notice anyway, so it was pointless. Most useless kiss of my life, even!"

He doesn't reply.

When I reach Cal's porch, I chance a look back at him, but he's nowhere to be seen. His porch light flicks off a moment later.

I've somehow managed to fuck things up even more. As if my life wasn't complicated enough already.

To top it all off, the tune for that fucking song, Mr. Pitiful, suddenly starts up in my head.

The world could end this very minute, and it still wouldn't be soon enough.

----------

I'm woken up the next morning by a knock on the bedroom door.