Chapter 66

"I've never seen him like this," April comments softly after Theo has left the room. "It's nice."

"Like what?" I ask. I turn off the burner on the stove and angle the pan to begin draining the grease to one side.

"So happy," she explains. She pauses but it looks like she has more to say, and when I remain quiet she continues.

"Even before Ben died, he tried to act like he was living life to the fullest but when we were kids... some things happened to me, and Theo found out about them. He was such a good brother. He was always so strong for me, making up for how weak I was, but I could always tell that knowing about it crushed him and dampened his spirits... But with you, his spirit finally seems full. He's finally acting like he's alive."

My eyes well up with tears at April's words, and I turn to look at the pan on the stove to hide them. "He told me, April," I admit softly. "Not any details," I'm quick to add, not wanting her to feel betrayed, "just that something had happened to you... He never thought you were weak though. He said you were always strong."

April sniffles, but when I glance back at her she's smiling through her tears. "I like you, Emilia. You're a lot better for him than Megan ever was. Our parents will see that too."

I'm not so sure I believe that but I return her smile. "Thanks, April."

----------

After we finish preparing all the toppings for tacos, April and I join the others in the living room.

"April," Wendy starts, "Why didn't you tell me she is Theo's girlfriend? You introduced her as a 'good friend' of yours and Cal."

"Well, I guess you're off the hook now," Theo says to Cal with a smirk.

I'm still trying to get over the term "girlfriend" while I make my way across the room to stand near Theo.

Cal smirks back at him and then turns to his mother-in-law. "She wasn't wrong about that. Emy-or, Emilia, is my best friend. I guess you could say we grew up together and recently started to talk again. That's how Theo ended up meeting her."

"Emy..." Marvin mumbles my name to himself as his eyes move from Cal to where I'm now standing next to Theo. He looks back at Cal. "As in the woman whose name is tattooed on your chest?"

Cal awkwardly opens and closes his mouth, while Wendy's eyes nearly bulge out of her head, and April calmly answers for him, "Yes, that Emy."

Wendy's gaze whips over to Theo and I. "And now you're... ?"

Theo nods and answers, "Yes," while I wish the ground would open up and swallow me whole.

There's an awkward-filled silence between us all, and then Marvin blurts out, "That's really weird."

"Dad!" April scolds, sounding appalled.

Cal starts laughing, and April and Wendy glare at him, causing him to answer with a shrug. "What? It is really weird!" He looks at Theo and I as he continues. "I'm all for it. Now. You two are clearly good together. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit that it's still a major head fuck for me." He then bites his lip and turns to Wendy with an apologetic expression. "Sorry for swearing."

Wendy blinks her eyes and gives a slow shake of her head as if she's still coming to terms with all this information and didn't even register that Cal had sworn in front of her.

There's another brief silence in the room, and then Marvin speaks up. "Didn't you once tell me that she has your name tattooed on her behind?"

Please ground, open up. Swallow me. Make me disappear forever. Please!