Chapter 29

Two days later, the entire group was boarding the train for Magnolia. Natsu refused to let Cinder go, despite the fact that he almost immediately fell asleep as soon as the train started moving. Lucy had to take baby Cinder in her arms while Natsu rested his head on her shoulder, and Happy slept with his head in her lap.

The blonde absolutely adored the baby girl, same with Natsu. Akio had taken a liking to the men in the group, mostly Gajeel and Lily, probably because they were the biggest softies with things smaller then their hands. Eli never slept unless he was in his mothers or fathers arms, which Ember was fine with.

"Y'know, She may only be a few days old, but I can already tell that she has her Uncle Natsu wrapped around her finger." Ember said, watching Lucy play quietly with Cinder. Lily had fallen asleep with Akio in his arms and Eli was in Zoltan's arms.

"I know she's already got me wrapped around her finger." Lucy said fondly. "What's it feel like?" She asked, looking up at her at her seat across them. "Being a mom? Does it feel...different?" She asked. Ember shrugged and yawned.

"It's a lot to get used to. The whole nine month thing was nice to get everything ready for these three little fireballs." She said.

"Oh. Do you think they'll be a handful wen they get older?" She asked.

"Well, Z won't be ready for when Cindy starts dating. He's probably gonna be the stereotypical dad who sits on the couch with a shotgun or some gun trying to intimidate her date." Ember chuckled and glanced her husband, running a finger over the engagement ring. She told Natsu and Happy yesterday about the engagement and was extremely surprised when Happy was the one to freak out and Natsu was perfectly calm.

"So, were you a little girl who fantasized about her wedding day?" Lucy asked, bringing Ember out of her thoughts. She smiled and shrugged.

"I grew up with a dad and two brothers, spent most of my time at a baseball park, gym, or anywhere that guys hung out. You should've seen my dad when that time of the month came for the first time. He had no idea what to do, so he called Heather, Gajeel's mom, in a total panic." Ember chuckled.

"What happened to your mom?" Lucy asked. Natsu and Happy never talked about her, and Ember was talking like she didn't have a mom. Embers face darkened slightly, glancing at the ground the out the window then at Lucy.

"Well. Sh-she died. During childbirth with Happy. I think that was a reason Natsu joined Phantom Lord as a teenager." She said sadly. Lucy stared at her shocked, and felt terrible for asking such a personal question.

"O-oh my! I am so sorry, I shouldn't have asked, that personal of a question!" Lucy said. Ember waved her hand and shook her head.

"No, you're practically family at this point. I mean, you've been with these guys for almost a year now, right? So, I don't have much to hide from you." She smiled and wiped her eyes. Talking about her mom was always a sensitive subject for anyone in her family.

"So, what's the deal between you a Natsu?" Ember asked changing the subject quickly. Lucy blushed slightly and looked at the salmon haired man on her shoulder.

"We-were just friends!" Lucy exclaimed, looking back at Embers smirking face. Ember raised a brow at her expectantly. "I-I mean he's nice and he's pretty adorable when he's playing with Happy and Wendy but-" Lucy froze, slapping a hand over her mouth.

"Ha. Knew it. Gajeel owes me fifty bucks." She smirked, glanced at the man in the car across from them with Erza, Jellal, Wendy, Lily. Zoltan, the twins and Happy, Lucy in another and Laxus, Mira, Gray and Juvia in the final car.

"What?! You two were betting on me and Natsu?!" Lucy whispered harshly. Ember chuckled and nodded, yawning again. The girls looked over to see Gajeel getting up and walking to another area. Ember excused herself and followed him, keeping a hand on the wall for support.

"Hey." She said, stopping next to him. Gajeel grunted and leaned against the wall. "So, got a plan?" She asked.

"Yeah, go in and take her for myself." He grunted. Ember sighed and slapped the side of his head. "OUCH! The hell was that for pinkie?!" He snapped.

"You can't just go in, throw her over your shoulder and take off. Trust me, those people will be out for blood if they think you hurt her." Ember snapped. "Fortunately for you, I have an plan." She said confidently.

"Damn, how close are you people?" Gajeel exclaimed, rubbing his head.

"Some people say we have bonds thicker then blood." Ember smirked. "Anyways, I have an idea. By the time we reach Magnolia, it'll be at least four days until Christmas." She went though the plan and Gajeel wanted to slam his head in a wall.

"You mean I gotta wait until Christmas Eve to see her?! That's four days from now!" He exclaims, wanting to see her as soon as they got to town.

"I told you. I need to make sure Stings out of the way. Then when Levy's by herself again, that's when you get her. And I know the perfect way to get her alone for it." She went though the rest of her plan. Gajeel seemed to perk up a little bit more at the continuation of the plan.

"Alright, fine. I'll do it." Gajeel said, holding his hand out.

"Good. I'll get a few of the others to help me. You have to swear not to go anywhere near the park or anywhere near Levy, got it?" She raised a brow at him. Gajeel groaned but nodded.

"Fine. I'll do it." He said, shaking her hand. She crossed her arms in victory and smirked before turning to walk back to her seat.

"You have no idea how much she really missed you, Gajeel." Ember said over her shoulder. Gajeel grunted and went back to his seat, hoping to get a few hours of sleep before reaching Magnolia.

When Ember sat back down, she saw Natsu was awake, Lucy was asleep and Happy moved to sit and talk with Wendy in the other car. He was holding Cinder, now asleep, so Lucy could get a little bit of rest.

"So. You knew about phantom." He said quietly. Ember nodded, sitting across from him. "How long?"

"I started getting suspicious when you were coming home late, and going out before dad and Hap were up. I followed you one day, you must've been a member maybe a few weeks. I saw you meet up with Totamaro and Gajeel." She looked down, feeling bad for keeping the information from him. "Did you join...because of mom?" She asked quietly. Natsu shook his head.

"We were low on cash, they offered me an easy way to make fast money. At first it was, keep the gym open late so they could have meeting there, get them numbers for people. Small stuff. But, there was one job Totamaro had, and he wanted me to go with him to learn a thing or two." Natsu sighed, looking down at his niece in his arms. "It was an assassination contract. I refused to go and I quit the day after." He said.

"You're an idiot." Ember said, frowning at her twin brother. He sighed and nodded. "We were doing fine, the Redfox's helped us when we needed it because Metalicana owed dad." She snapped. "You don't have to always take care of us."

"But I'm your brother! It's my job to take care of my sister and little brother." Natsu exclaimed. "What would you say if Akio or Eli didn't protect Cinder?"

"I'd slap them both upside the head and tell them their family and family sticks together. Which is what I'm gonna tell you, we can take care of ourselves." Ember said, frowning at Natsu. He grumbled something under his breath and went back to sitting quietly with Cinder.

"That isn't moms ring, is it?" He asked suddenly, pointing at her ring.

"No. I think it was Zoltan's moms, why?" She asked, looking at the ring.

"Just wondering." Natsu mumbled, looking out the window. He glanced at Lucy, who was sleeping on his shoulder and smiled. Maybe I should tell her. I mean, she's beautiful, smart, kind and caring, strong in her own way. Any guy to have her would be the luckiest man in the world. Maybe I could be him...