Chapter 9

Natsu couldn't believe what he just heard. He had met Levy's dad before and thought he was the type of dad who would never do something like this on his only daughter.

"Wait, isn't that the punk who almost got the crap beat out of him by Gajeel the other day?" He said, dropping his hands to his sides. Lucy nodded and sighed.

"That's why I couldn't tell, cant, tell Gajeel about this." Lucy sounded on the verge of tears, she looked like it took. Natsu pulled her into another hug and sighed. "I got three other letters, but I can't read them in front of him." She added.

"I know. We can read them on the train, he always falls asleep on the train." Natsu sighed. "For now, we should head back before he starts searching for us too." He tried to lighten her mood, which helped slightly, but the weight of the letter had depressed her completely. She nodded and he took her hand to lead her away from the gym, his arm slinging around Happy's shoulders.

When they got back to the hotel room, Gajeel was busy in the bathroom while Lily sat quietly on the bed, polishing what looked like a gun.

"Uh, Lily. Is that a gun?" Lucy asked nervously, taking a seat next to Natsu who was completely unfazed by it. Happy wasn't either as he sat down on the couch and grabbed a comic book.

"Well Miss Lucy, I was head of security for the Redfoxes." He chuckled and smiled, but nodded. "Yes, I am trained in a multitude of weapons and hand-to-hand combat. How else do you think Gajeel learned proper fighting?" He glanced at Natsu and Lucy's intertwined hands, then back up to Lucy's blushing face and Natsu's obliviousness. She pulled her hand away and stood to sit next to Happy on the couch. Gajeel walked into the room and sat next to Lily on the bed, careful not to sit on the weapon pieces.

"Do ya really hafta clean that on the bed right now?" He grumbled. Lily rolled his eyes and picked everything and moved to the desk. "Anyways, Blondie, did you find anything or not?" Gajeel demanded. Lucy shared a quick glance with Natsu and sighed.

"No. I couldn't find anything useful for us." She felt like she was about to throw up, telling him that big of a lie. He sighed before standing and grabbing his jacket while walking towards the door.

"I need some air. Better be food when I get back up here." He grumbled over his shoulder and left. Lucy sighed and put her head in her hands.

"What're we gonna do?" She begged, looking back at Natsu. He shook his head and looked out the window, balling his fists.

"What? Has something happened?" Lily questioned, putting his gun back together. Lucy shook her head and set the letter on the desk in front of him. He raised a brow to her before opening it and reading, his eyes widening by the second, until he slammed his hand down on the table, making the others jump. "He can't do that!" He exclaimed.

"Lily, calm down. We know that already!" Natsu shouted back, jumping to his feet. "But we can't worry about that right now, because we know this jackass still has to get Levy to at least like him. As long as we reach her first, we can stop this crazy wedding." He said, Lily could visibly relax slightly, though his hand never left his, now clean and functioning, gun.

"Um, do you think you could take your hand off your gun now?" Lucy asked, shaking slightly next to Happy, who seemed more interested in his comic then the yelling around him. Lily looked down at his hand and pulled it away quickly, crossing his arms.

"My apologies Miss Lucy." He said quietly before sitting on the bed and sighing. "Gajel Redfox may be a dense, oversized idiot sometimes, who rushes things without thinking, but he's a good man. I've worked for his father since Gajeel was a small child, so I've watched him grow from that stupid, self centered kid, into the stupid, kind man he is today." Lily sighed and looked at the desk, frowning at the thought of Jonathan McGarden, giving away his daughter.

"He's still an idiot though." Natsu added.

"What, like your one to talk." Lucy said from behind him. He turned to give her a questioning look. "Oh please, on the train you told me you jumped off your house roof because you wanted to see if you could land in your pool."

"What? How was I being an idiot! That was me being the amazing stunt man that I am!" He exclaimed.

"You fell short and landed on the pool side." She finished.

"Broke your leg in two places. Started crying like a baby." Happy snickered. "And Lily had to come over and take you to the hospital. You left me with Gajeel, Levy, and Carla!" He added. Natsu's face was beet red before he turned to leave.

"I'm gonna...go get the food." He said awkwardly, grabbing his wallet and leaving his little brother in laughter, his blonde friend in giggles and the body guard smirking.

Gajeel walked around the town, not really going anywhere. But he did make sure to stay close to the hotel, should something happen. He stopped in a smoke shop, buying a pack of cigarets, even though he swore he would quit. He wasn't even sure why he bought them, maybe it was...just to have them. He sat down on some park bench and pulled one out, along with the lighter he just bought.

"Maybe....just one." He said quietly, staring at it, thinking one wouldn't be so bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~Flashback~~~~~~~~~~~
"You need to quit, Gajeel." She said, putting her hands on her hips and looking up at him.

"Why? It ain't hurtin' anyone Shrimp." He grumbled and took another long slow drag.

"It's not healthy! You know you could die from lung cancer!" She exclaimed, not caring if they were in a public place. Well, they were spending the day at the park for the day, her father working and his thinking he was with Natsu and Ember.

"So? I'll get a new lung then." He smirked down at her and dropped his current cigaret and put it out with the toe of his boot.

"Gajeel, I'm not playing around. You need to quit!" She exclaimed again. When she didn't puff out her cheeks, he knew this was a battle wasn't going to win.

"Fine, I'll look into it, happy Shrimp?" He rolled his eyes, earning him a light slap.

"This isn't something to joke around about you idiot!" She snapped. "Promise me, that next time I see you you won't have a pack on you." She said, glaring up at him. He glared halfheartedly before signing and closing his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Fine. I'll make you a deal Shrimp. If I actually quit, you do whatever I say for a months worth of dates." He smirked down at her blushing face.

"W-well that depends." She stated, looking up at him.

"Anything. I. Say." He grinned evilly down at her and leaned down to her level. "So, we got a deal?" He smirked again at her bright red face.

"OH! You big..!" She turned and marched away a few steps. "Fine! We have a deal." She said and walked back over to him, putting her hand out towards him. He shook his head and pushed her hand down.

"We're gonna seal the deal another way. Gihi." He grinned darkly at her before grabbing her waist before she could get away and planted a soft yet demanding kiss on her lips. She immediately melted in his arms and kissed him back, wrapping her arms around his neck and tangling her fingers in his hair. He pulled back before they anything could do anything stupid. He laughed at her flushed face, making her actually puff out her cheeks. He kissed her cheek before setting her on her feet. "There, that wasn't so hard, was it?" He grinned again before hearing his name being called. He sighed and turned back to her. "See ya Shrimp." He said. Before he could get too far away, she grabbed his arm and spun him around, grabbing the front of his shirt she pulled him down to her level.

"Please don't make me do anything I'll regret." She winked at him before pecking his lips and turning to running off. He smirked and walked over to the twins, who were waiting impatiently.

~~~~~~~~Back To the Present~~~~~~~
Gajeel wasn't sure how long he sat there, staring at the object in his hand. He sighed and leaned back against the back of the bench he was sitting on and looked at the sky. Before he really knew what he was doing, he was walking over to a trash can and was throwing away the pack of smokes before leaving the park muttering,

"I made a promise. I'll be dammed if I break it now."