Chapter 4

After searching all day, Gajeel was sitting in a bar with his head in his hands and a beer by his elbow. He was about to finish it and leave when the bartender walked up to him.

"Oi, you got a call here." He said and handed him the corded phone.

"Gajeel." He said and rubbed his eyes.

"Where the hell are ya, screw for brains?!" Natsu shouted into the phone, making him pull the phone away from his ear.

"Searching for McGarden, you dumbass!" Gajeel whispered loudly. "Where have you been?!"

"At the room." Natsu said simply. He could hear Happy watching something and another voice, but he couldn't tell who it was.

"What?" He hissed into the phone.

"We aren't going to find books under the name McGarden. Just come back to the room and I'll explain." He said and hung up the phone. Gajeel growled before handing the phone back and paying in cash. Gajeel stormed out of the bar and ran back to the hotel. He didn't bother with the elevator and went straight for the stairs, running up three flights of stairs before reaching his room. He slammed the key in and slammed the door shut behind him as he stormed for Natsu. He grabbed him but the front of his shirt and slammed him into the wall by the window.

"You wanna tell me why, I spent the entire fucking day running around this god damned city, lookin for a name that doesn't even matter?!" He growled, and closed his hand around Natsu's throat.

"L-Lucy! Explain!" Natsu gasped and kicked Gajeel in the stomach and Lily had to hold him back so he wouldn't attack Natsu again. Gajeel didn't even notice the girl on the bed, holding a cowering Happy.

"I-I know Levy, and I can tell you she was here." She blurted out nervously. "She-she left almost a year ago. She didn't tell me where she was going." She added and let Happy run to Natsu who was trying to regain his breath. Gajeel stopped fighting at the sound of Levy's name. He waited to see if that was all she had to say. "A-are you Gajeel?" She asked nervously, moving closer to the edge of the bed. Lily let him go and he almost fell to his knees, but he caught himself and sat on the bed.

"Yeah. Who are you?" He asked, looking at is hands. His little outburst reminded him of what she said, about the people he's hurt and put in intensive care.

"My name is Lucy Heartfilia. I'm a friend of Levy's and I want to know where she went." She said, sitting across from him on Natsu's and Happy's bed. Gajeel nodded before looking up at Natsu who was sitting on the couch.

"Sorry Natsu." He mumbled and put his head in his hands.

"Don't worry about it." He said, his voice raspy. "Just know your buying Happy and I breakfast." He added, smirking before coughing. Gajeel nodded before standing up and walking into the bathroom. He just needed to be away from the others right now, and a shower would be a good excuse.

"What's his deal? Who just attacks their friends like that?" Lucy whispered, helping Natsu on the bed.

"Don't give him too hard a time about it. Our hands ain't exactly the cleanest." Natsu mumbled and closed his eyes. Lucy shot Lily a questioning look before covering Natsu in the sheets and Happy sat next to him.

"These boys come from Metalicana Redfox and Igneel Dragneel. Metalicana is known for getting his way with his fists, and Igneel is the boxing champion in our home town." Lily answered, putting in another movie for to help Happy get his mind off of things.

"Even Happy?" She asked, looking at he little blue head of hair.

"He's not as involved as Natsu was. His older brother had decided he didn't want him to go through the things he did at his age."