Control

I growled as I finally managed to pull myself away from her unconscious body. Marina had fallen asleep and I decided it was good idea to stuff my jacket under her head before fixing her body. I was loosing control of myself, with each passing moment day, hour. I was losing myself more and more to Zuvan and his nature.

'Do not blame me child, I'm a solitary animal, but because man has the need to posses things, it is intensified by me, I feel what you feel we are one after all.' Zuvan replied.

"Your traits are showing on me, I can feel my eyes changed, my teeth even my senses change, why are you doing this?" I demanded.

'She's getting closer and closer to her heat. It is only natural for a male to want to mate. She gave in once, she will do it again.' Zuvan answered.

"She's human, human women don't go in to heat." I scoffed as I looked over the woman that made me go insane.

'I believe they ovulate which is the equivalent to heat, my dear boy.' I could hear the smirk in his voice.

"Are you trying to get her pregnant?" taken aback I came to the realization.

'The animal species doesn't have sex for the fun of it like humans do, at least from what I know.' Zuvan chuckled.

"I will not impregnate her. I don't want to have children." I shouted to him mentally.

'In my world, the male leaves after mating, you can do the same, though you will come back to her, to mate again and again.'He was irritating me.

"I can't do this to her, I'll leave her and stay to myself." I reasoned.

'You'll go insane and weak and eventually I will take over and you'll be in the same state of mind as I am just in a man's body.' He sighed.

Before I could argue back, the limo had pulled up to the family house. The driver opened the door and I carried Marina out after wrapping my jacket around her. In the house, I brought Marina up to my room and stripped her down before tucking her in. I called Gabriel and told him to bring Stella over to the family house then hung up once he told me he was on his way. Heading down to the kitchen, I poured myself a glass of water just as the sound of dragging slippers caught my ears.

"Kevin, baby, is that you?" My mother called as she rounded the corner and came in to the kitchen.

"Yes, it's me; I'm just drinking some water." I replied holding up my glass to show her.

"How was the ball event?" She took a seat at the counter as she poured herself a glass.

"I told a lie, I knew I was going to lie but not like this, and to make matters complicated, I want this lie to be true." I cracked and decided to tell her what happened.

"What lie did you tell, sweetheart?" My mother looked at me without judgment.

"I told a few people there that Marina was my fiancé and apparently everyone now knows about it but it doesn't bother me. Ever since I saw her when I came back I- I just had to have her. I wanted her to be mine." I rested my head in my hands.

"In Africa, they did something to you; they gave you an animal spirit didn't they?" She looked at me expectantly.

"How- How did you know?" I asked standing up straight and looking at her.

"Your father's brother had the same thing happen to him, I believed him though you're father didn't until I showed him. They chose the gifted one and released his power. His animal was a tiger, so what is yours, it usually depends on your personality." She explained.

"Leopard," I replied fingering the rim of my glass.

"The solitary animal, Marina is your chosen then. Every animal has a mate and you are hers." My mother smiled before finishing off her water. "Take good care of her, you should make her breakfast in the morning, she'll appreciate that." She rinsed out the glass and put it away before walking off.