Chapter 54

A short chapter. A little bit of what happened after Laena's death. We have a small time jump. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

"I am sorry, Rhaenys." She felt bad for her cousin. The woman had lost her daughter and husband in a span of two days. Apparently, Rhaenys had been aware of several of Corlys' infidelities, but not this last one. "I understand if you do not want to see me or stay with me. If you do decide to stay, know that you will be treated as befitting your station as a princess of the blood. If you decide to leave, you can stay with Laenor if you wish, he has expressed his wish for you to stay with him. Visenya and Aemond traveled on Dragon back to give him the news of Laena's death. Visenya did not want him to find out in a letter."

"I know what would happen the moment Visenya stepped on the tower of the hand asking about Aegon." Rhaenys shook her head sadly. "I knew my daughter would not survive and that I would not be able to save her. I might not like what you had to do, but I understand it. If you had allowed Laena to get away with kidnapping and attempting to kill your son, your family would have never been safe."

"I do not if you believe me, but this is not how I wanted things to end." She did not enjoy hurting her family. "I had planned to speak to Corlys after things had settled a bit between us and offer to make Laena his official heir if he so wished. Maybe she could have wed someone else and the curse would have been lifted, she might have been able to have children."

"Leana became obsessed and then she became mad." Rhaenys's eyes were sad as she thought about her daughter. "I attempted to speak to her so many times, told her not to allow her jealousy to consume her and to let Daemon go, but she refused. I even spoke to Daemon and Visenya. I know the reason they stopped torturing her was because of me, but the moment she stole your babe from his crib I knew there was nothing anyone could do for her." Rhaenys sighed. "When Visenya entered my chambers that night all I could see in her eyes was the promise of death. She had unleashed her inner monster and she would not be putting it back in a leash until she tasted blood."

"What are you planning to do now?"

"I will go and stay with my son." Somehow Rhaenyra had known that would be Rhaenys's decision. "There are not many things left for me here and I would enjoy seeing other things."

"Let me know what you need and I will see it done."

"Thank you, Rhaenyra." Rhaenys gave her a nod before walking out of the small council chambers.

Rhaenyra wished she could say a part of her was sorry that Laena was dead, but that would not be the truth. After Laena had taken Aegon, Rhaenyra finally understood that her children would never be safe as long as her enemies were free to move around. While everyone said Alicent had nothing to do with the kidnapping of her son Rhaenyra was not convinced. She had spoken to Aemond and made it clear that one more move from Alicent and she would be executed immediately. Aemond had understood and promised that he would be vigilant. Rhaenyra would not give any more chances.