A Dragon's Death

TWENTY-FIVE YEARS LATER

King Maegon sat on the throne as his two sons fought each other with wooden spears. Rhaegon, the older of the two, bragged as he proceeded to whack Maekor, the youngest prince, right in the side of the head.

Maekor held his head as he looked up at his father, "That's not fair! I thought we were only disarming each other!"

Maegon stood from the chair as Rhaegon went for another blow before being stopped by his father.

"This is only a practice. I do suggest putting more hours into your trainings a lot more though. And I mean a lot more," Maegon said as his youngest son pushed Rhaegon away in anger, "Maybe I would be better if Rhaegon actually taught me how to spar!"

Rhaegon who had just turned ten and five hated being pushed around, "It is not my fault that you are awful!"

Maegon put a hand on Rhaegon's chest as the two brothers leaned toward each other, "I am going to have to give you two new sparring partners if you both can't help each other."

"He has no redeeming qualities," Rhaegon says as Maegon gives him a look.

"Sure he does," Maegon turns to Maekor's embarrassed face, "He is quick and rather small. That could be used as an advantage."

Rhaegon stared at his brother, unable to see what his father saw in him.

"And you Rhaegon are taller and slightly bigger which means you can be slower," Maegon pointed out, "You may be stronger than Maekor but maybe not as quick. You both can learn from each other."

"But I don't—"

"There will be no more arguing," Maegon sternly said as Rhaegon shut his mouth, "Now you both are brothers. Learn to work together. If not, I will have you sparring with Laena for the rest of the week."

At this, Rhaegon grabbed the spear and awkwardly patted Maekor on the back, "I'd rather be with Maekor than go with Laena."

"For once I agree," Maekor says as he spins the wooden sword, "I sparred with her a couple of days ago and the cut still has not healed!"

"Exactly," Maegon smirked. Whilst the three men of the family were dealing with their training, Queen Baela was soaring the skies on Moondancer.

Princess Laena rode Myrax, her grand uncle's dragon who had been unclaimed for many years. The black and blue dragon was a marvelous sight to see alongside the pale green dragon. The people cheered as Baela flew into the clouds disappearing.

Laena looked around as she tightened her grip on the ropes of Myrax, who roared.

"Mother?!" Laena shouted as a gust of wind hit her face.

"WOOO!" Baela shrieked as Moondancer spread her wings and flew all the way down to the water, "DON'T FALL BEHIND, LAENA!"

The Queen's words drove her daughter further, determined to beat her mother at this race.

The onlookers cheered as the Princess began to pick up speed on her dragon, hot on her mother's heels.

Laena closed her eyes the designated finish line came closer and closer. The sound of Myrax's roar was so loud, Laena did not hear that she had beat her mother in the race.

The dragonkeepers as well as the crowd of small folk gifted the Princess many crowns of flowers, jewelry of their own making, and new riding gear.

The Princess was so loved around the realm and it was precisely why she was Maegon's favorite. She was kind but bold, and like Baela, loved to ride her dragon.