Fulfillment

The day they all dreaded arrived when Maekara and her family had to go back to Ashbourne to crown Maegon, and nobody was looking forward to their leaving.

Just before they would be leaving back home, Maekara and Ser Richard stood on the beach of the Blackwater. She looks back up at the Keep behind her and a sad smile curls at her lips.

"You will be back here in no time, Your Grace," Richard says as they both stare at the water, "We both know that as soon as Maegon wears the crown, you will come crawling right back here."

"You are not entirely wrong, Rich," Mae laughed as she looked at the sand and the way the water crashed so gently onto the beach, "Only I would not be returning a ruling Queen. I would be returning as simply just a visitor."

"Is that so bad?" Richard asked, "You would not have to receive criticisms as to why you are here and not in your own kingdom. I see it as a good thing."

"It is not a bad thing at all. I'm just already finding it strange and it has not even happened yet," Mae admitted, "The memories I've made here have been as Queen. I'm afraid I will miss it."

"You can always make new memories," Richard said, "The crown is no longer a burden for you. You are free to do as you please."

A few moments pass as Richard speaks again, "I have one particular memory about this place that always brings a smile to my face."

"And what is that?" Mae asked as she peered over at him. He tries to hide his smile and looks up at the sky.

"Forgive me if it is too cold-hearted, but it is right here where Ser Wyatt and I got rid of the biggest burden of them all," Richard told her and Mae raised her brow. After a few seconds, she realized who he was referring to.

"Do you mean Reid the Gloat?" Mae jested, "I haven't given him a single thought since I sentenced him to die for all the stupid atrocities he said about Rhaenyra."

"I know you held love for him at some point but I truly enjoyed ridding the Crown of that cunt."

"Are you kidding?" Mae asked, incredulous, "It felt unnatural to be with him and I quite literally gag at the fact that I ever shared a bed with him. But I had to marry someone."

"And you did," Richard reminded, "The finest swordsman in the Realm of Insanity: me."

"You are kidding yourself," Mae teased and Richard chuckled, "You are average at best. Our youngest son could best you."

"Are you sure that boy is even our child?" Richard jests, "He looks every like you and me, but that boy does not know his way around with a sword."

Mae shoved him as she can't help but laugh, "Don't be like that. Rhaemont may not be the best swordsman now, but he is still a boy. Give him some time. Were you the best at your craft at 8 years old?"

"At 8 years old I was playing with dirt," Richard said as Mae tightly smiled.

"Exactly. So you can't speak on Rhaemont's dedication and commitment to becoming just like his father," Mae scolded as she kissed his cheek, "When he was at his prime of course."

"I'm still really good," Richard says and Mae nods.

"Mm, average at best," Mae joked and Richard argued once again.