You Scared Me

It had been several hours since Maekara had collapsed just after visiting the Dragonpit.

Rhaenyra and Maegor never left Mae's side, exchanging stories and making each other laugh.

Mae lay on the bed, with her head resting on the silky pillow. Maegor was sitting on a chair beside Rhaenyra, drinking wine. Rhaenyra did not take her eyes off of Mae even for a second, afraid that she will miss the Queen waking up.

The maester was wiping sweat off of Mae's forehead and turned to the duo beside him.

"Princess, my Prince," The maester addressed them, "If the Queen is not awake within the hour, please do call me back."

"Thank you, grand maester," Maegor replied as the maester excused himself.

The maesters had assumed that the Queen had collapsed due to exhaustion. It had become apparent due to the very dark circles under her eyes and that she was running low on sleep.

"Princess," Maegor called out to Rhaenyra who was holding Mae's hand. He was holding a goblet filled to the top with wine.

"I suggest you drink," Maegor told her, "For the stress."

Rhaenyra took the goblet, "Thank you, Maegor."
She savored the taste of the wine as she placed it down, continuing to observe Mae's features.

"She'll be okay," Maegor tried to reassure her, "Mae can kick the ass of anything."

Rhaenyra laughed as she took another sip of the wine goblet, "It is I who should be comforting you, Maegor. Not the other way around. You are her family."

"So are you, Rhaenyra," Maegor says, "And I mean that."

Rhaenyra does not know what to say and looks down at the Prince's words. She felt warm and relaxed with the fact that Mae's own brother called her family and that even though his sister's health was not good, he was choosing to comfort someone else that also loved his sister.

"That means a lot," Rhaenyra muttered out as Maegor smiled at her. He wanted to keep Rhaenyra's spirits up so he decided to tell her a story.

"Do you want to know something?" Maegor asked the Princess, who looked up from the ground. Her eyes glimmered with tears that she quickly wiped.

"Yes, of course," Rhaenyra quickly said as she sniffled. The Princess watched as Maegor fixed his posture and crossed his legs in his chair.

"When my sister was crowned, the whole kingdom questioned whether an eight year old could be queen. And I mean who wouldn't? She was just a girl," Maegor says as he continues, "But just after the crown was put on her head, she said something that has forever stuck with me."

"What did she say?" Rhaenyra asked as she listened intently.

"She said, "I aim to forever stand as a symbol of the people's hope and faith." Something my father surely told her to say to the people before he died but she stayed true to that word. She was just a little girl and yet she led our entire kingdom through the darkest of days. She was quite the symbol of hope."

Maegor sat looking at Mae, smiling at her, "When you become King or Queen, at least in Ashbourne, you have to say "May the fire of House Maltheon burn bright for generations to come" and everyone swears fealty to the crown and the person who wears it. But she just ignored it."

Maegor and Rhaenyra laugh at the memory as the Princess tries to imagine an eight year old Mae trying to accept the burden of wearing the crown.

"If I may ask," Rhaenyra says, "Why didn't any of you want to accept the crown?"