5 Years

"Here is Princess Mikaela, my Queen." Ser Richard, of the Queensguard, announced. Mikaela had been with her dragon Sōna on the beach, practicing commands.

"Sweet girl. I have been looking for you everywhere." Maekora says, hugging her daughter, "Where were you?"

"I was with Sōna. Down at the beach, mother." Mikaela had just turned five as well as her dragon. She spent a lot of her days with her which worried her parents.

"Kaela, Sōna needs rest. The same way that you do. It is good to practice but she needs a break."

"But you said to spend a lot of  time with her." Kaela retorts, as she takes a seat next to Maia, who played with a wooden dragon on the floor. She had just turned one.

"Yes, of course. But not too much time. I know what I said, but it is best to set a limit. Remember Sōna is your companion and your partner. She has boundaries and feelings too. She is no slave."

"I will remember next time."

"It is importnant that you do because Sōna is just like you, a living breathing creature. Yes it is important to build your relationship with her. But also understand how she behaves and learn from her. And she will learn from you too." Maekora continues to counsel her as they both sit on the floor, playing with Princess Maia.

"Did you happen to see your brothers anywhere?" Mae asks her daughter, who shrugs.

"I have not seen them." Kaela goes back to playing with her youngest sister, making noises and roaring like a dragon.

"What about your father?"

"I think he is down in the book room." Kaela guesses, playing with the toy dragon.

Mae sighs as she gets up from off the floor to the desk in the far corner. She looks at the letter that arrived from her Rhaenyra not too long ago.
It spoke of how much she knew that Maekora would absolutely adore Jacaerys and Lucerys, her two little boys. Again, she felt the pit in her stomach.

Jealousy.

Jealousy and envy that she was not there to help Rhaenyra raise those boys. But she did not know that Rhaenyra felt the same way, not being able to raise all of their children together.

When Jacaerys was born, the first thing Rhaenyra did was write a letter to Mae. When Mae read his name out loud, her eyebrows raised at the familiarity of it.

It was as if she were hearing her brother's name all over again, only replaced with the letter J.

She had hoped to meet her sons one day and Rhaenyra was equally obsessed with Maekora's daughters. They both could not wait to see each other as well as meet all of their children.

And now here Mae stood rereading all of Rhaenyra's letters. She was so focused on them that she did not hear her husband walk in through the doors of the chambers.

"Dada!" Maia giggled at the sight of her father.

"Hello, my sweet girl." Reid grabs Maia, fixing her on his hip, and embraces Mikaela in an awkward side hug.

"You summoned me?" Reid stepped closer to Mae's desk, eyeing the stacks of letters that Mae was looking at.

"I wanted to talk to you about taking a trip."

Reid's mouth opens in excitement, "Where will we go?"

"To King's Landing." Reid's face drops, he knows why Maekora wants to go there.

"Let me guess. To see the Princess." Mae looks down in shame and  shakes her head.

"You know what, it's silly."